1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pay Pal age?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingofgamemasters777, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

is there an age restriction on pay pal? i got account and want to use the paypal plug in, but now its asking for my social security number. so if i give my number will they cancel my account?

i wasn't sure where to post this so i just stuck it here.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Don't give it your social security number.
    There is no reason for any online payment method to need to know your Social Security number. Paypal has never asked me for my Social Security number either.

It's likely some third party phishing scam.

3. kingofgamemasters777

it because of there pay pal plug in, it need the ssn for "security reasions" and its the only way i know of to get the secure card thing

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Where on earth did you go?

I use the .au version and it's never asked weird things like that.

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_home&country_lang.x=true

That is where I got to using this.

www.paypal.com

Not sure what you done but...sounds odd :(

5. kingofgamemasters777

here https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_vdc-plugin-intro&login_access=1216166374 its a legit part of paypal

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

How odd...

Maybe it's a recent change.

But don't add it just yet-try to contact pay pal and ask directly.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I would strongly suggest you do not use the plug-in. There is absolutely no reason for it to ask for your SSN. Do not give it out, it is sufficient information to commit ID fraud.

8. TirithRR

If you need to use the Secure Card feature, I would suggest going to your local bank or credit union and applying for a Visa or Mastercard Debit/Credit Card. Then registering it with their Secure methods.

9. kingofgamemasters777

well dang i really needed that temp mastercard number too. maybe i will just put in a fake number

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

don't, that could get you in massive trouble.

11. TirithRR

I don't know the algorithm, but there is some sort of equation that can tell if a Credit/Debit Card number is real. Just typing in random numbers will rarely work, and will fail the initial check.

I'm not saying that this Paypal thing is a 100% scam or untrustworthy, but the only people/groups that I ever give my SSN to are the Bank, my old College, my Employer, and the US Department of Education.