1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Patching DS Games with Hex Editor XVI32

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ravage, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravage

ravage Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm sure a mod will move this if need be.

Anyhow I'm Ravage and I'm new here, so hello to you all. My topic is about patching NDS games with Hex Editors and the one I fell in love with is XVI32. It is what allowed me to play Kingdom Hearts 358/2.

Now I have trolled this site learning a lot about the ROM cards, (I have the super R4 revolution which takes High capacity cards) and learning about how Nintendo company is getting smarter but putting in copy protection. I have noticed that there are so many ways to patch a game. Some games only work on certain cards (my R4, I'm learning is the least popular card :( oh well).

So now my question is there a topic here that only focuses on patching ALL games via the Hex Editor? I ask this because out of all of the patches I have had to use, the Hex Editor style of patching, for me, is the most reliable. Like 'Zelda Spirit Tracks', I have tried most all the different patches for this game and got failure. I would much rather be given all of the code lines that need editing and what correct values are to be. At least I know that is working and also I can learn more about how all of this works. Really! If a game needs to be patched in order to work I'd rather edit it myself in Hex, just give me the codes. Thanks!

BTW this is a really cool site.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It all depends on the type of anti-piracy and copy protection put in the game. The reason Kingdom Hearts was so easy to patch is not because it was patched using a Hex Editor. It's the other way around. The reason people could patch it with a Hex Editor was because the protection was so easy.

Other games, like Bowser's Inside story and Spirit Tracks are more complicated. While possible to patch with a hex editor, there are tons of modifications to make to the file, not just one or two. It's just not practical to do it manually (but those that develop the patch do it manually).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.