1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Patch?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by xlichidalx, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xlichidalx

xlichidalx Member

Hello
    I been seeing the word 'patch' numerous of time in the forum
    What does it mean??
    and what does it do??

help is appreciate

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

a patch is a file that fixes some stuff in a game that makes it unplayable.

There are Anti-piracy patches in the newer games and people make patches to get rid of these nasty inserts that the money-grubbing corporations put in to stop us from getting games for free....

there are different patches, but they all essentially get rid of the problems in the rom to make them playable on nearly every flashcart/emulator.

3. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

thats is way too closed, a patch is indeed a fiel but that modifies the data within a program, for example PS3 and Xbox360 both force you to get patchs to fix glitches, etc.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

true. i was speaking specifically of nds patches. that is what mainly is spoken of but developers/coders release patches for games as well such as on pc/xbox/ps3 and other consoles to fix glitches and exploits in a program as idaho said.

5. xlichidalx

xlichidalx Member

How do you use patch?
    Or fix it?

6. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

well you wil need a program and the corresponding patch file, if its ips, you need Lunar IPS, if its UPS you wil need stealth patch, for the msot common nds patch you will need xdelta, wich tends to come included in most downloads of romulation.

To be honest i would love that romulation used the ups and ips patches more.

7. xlichidalx

xlichidalx Member

If there are patch
    do I have to do it myself?
    or it will be in the download?

8. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

some patches are already in the game itself when downloaded...
    ... others are actually in the emulator, but some still need outside sources so it's best you keep an eye out on the forum, we try our best to give guys like you a heads up...

... are BIOS kinda like patches?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.