1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Paper Battery

Discussion in 'General News' started by damanali, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091207/sc_nm/us_battery_paper

Scientists never stop amazing me. What will the future be like when all electronics are made of paper or powered by paper?

2. iluvgtavcs

iluvgtavcs Guest

Amazing dude amazing. I dont need to spend soooo much money once its mass produced!

3. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Nice. We'll see amazingly thin and light electronic products soon if this implemented correctly. :D

4. iluvgtavcs

iluvgtavcs Guest

Agreed. a thnner DSi!!!

5. kamuikurou

Nah, I think NDS era will have ended when we got that mass produced. Actually I'd like to see multimedia devices to be as thin as a credit card. This is one of the technologies that supports that and I bet we'll see it in about the next 10 years or earlier. :D

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Not me, i prefer a good weighty device.

1.It won't snap when I hold it (I have a "T-800" grip :( )

2.It feels more real than some toy

3.I can blugeon people with it if they true to steal it

My ds phat has passed all 3 areas...my dsi can't even give someone concussion :(

Dslite just busted...weak.

7. kamuikurou

Humm... I'm not talking about today's device... Think outside the box, it'll have lots of consideration before it is made, it won't break so easily... (Have you ever chipped your credit card in two, no?) and believe me, our "thick" electronic devices will be considered ancient in the next ten years. :)

8. F77

F77 Active Member

paper as betteries? what about the trees?!?
    other than that little point, nice! less pollution! (but less trees... :( )

9. damanali

dont worry, its a renewable source. cut one and plant a new one. that simple. only the illegal logging makes cutting trees bad. they cut the trees illegally and they dont even plant seedlings or something. but in a controlled way, it will be renewable.

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I came close....i tried to use it like a knife once.

It failed-i had to jab their eyes to get them away :(

Anyways...I'm an old fashioned person, at times I prefer my big old nes, however this doesn't mean i like the size of the 360, Ps3 or the old xbox.

This is another concern of mine.

We will still be using trees, that and I doubt they would plant and grow them...but then again prehaps they tought of that.

Will they be as durable I wonder, or practicle?

All I know is, as much as I would love to see a water powered car (as in tap water) as it has these problems.

1.In australia we are in draght, so it would be wastful

2.If it's from a river that might screw around with it

3.In heat it would evaporate-forcing people to do problem 2

4.I would out drink the car :p

Anyways, paper would have it's fair share of issues, I mean...sure you don't get batts wet...but what if you grabbed it with sweaty hands, I do this often (damn aussie summers...)

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Flammable materials and electrical currents aren't a good combination. Imagine your paper based motherboard catching fire because your processor overheated :)

12. fahsky

fahsky Well-Known Member

Wow, this is really incredible! The cost of batteries holds back a lot of technologies, not just the ones that immediately come to mind, like personal electronics & cars, ect. Paper batteries could lead to some really impressive innovations in the medical field, like lightweight cybernetic limbs & organs, & in the energy field, replacing huge, deep cycle batteries to store energy from solar/wind/hydro-powered generators, to name just two other areas.

The energy field excites me the most - solar panels can already be made relatively cheaply, but the gigantic batteries required to store the energy generated hold a lot of people back from switching to alternative power. The number of batteries to power a normal refrigerator for example, would fill a warehouse! But these paper batteries would be low-cost & take up practically no space at all. Amazing! <3

13. ADMSeraphes

ADMSeraphes Well-Known Member

Perhaps hologramic devices will be a reality shortly after these batteries are made... won't it?

14. Tri_Edge

Tri_Edge Active Member

lol draw dirty pictures and use them to look at more dirty pictures

15. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

dont paper catch fire if it too hot? so what stoping the battery from getting burn?

16. Tri_Edge

Tri_Edge Active Member

exactly, this is bad idea

17. spire208

spire208 Well-Known Member

So.. maybe we could power paper airoplanes to fly farther

18. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

paper has a high ignition temperatue... as long as a naked flame doesnt touch it, it should be fine. I'm pretty sure they'd have to treat it anyway due to some imposed law or another.

19. damanali

they wont sell a product if its will be a utter fail. those scientist wont be that stupid to let the paper burn, and most they are not the one making the products, designers, and developers will find a way on how to merge it in their products.

20. iluvgtavcs

iluvgtavcs Guest

It would be real stupid to leave a fire going on in your house. And most electronic handhelds are normally used in the house, and if you know youre using a paper battery when youre close to fire, that is just downright stupid if you drop the device into the fire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.