1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Overheating?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bobobob1, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobobob1

bobobob1 Well-Known Member

When I play large ds games like Pokemon Platinum on no$gba 2.6a, after a while my computer's fan starts blowing like crazy. Is it overheating? Will no$gba actually harm my computer? Why is this happening?

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Emulators require a lot of power. Running a program will make your computer work, and create heat.
    Since your fan is turning on and running, it should not overheat. If your fan wasn't turning on but your PC was getting hot, then that would be bad. Note that just because the PC case may be hot, or the air blowing out of the fan may be hot, that doesn't mean anything is wrong. Fans are designed to remove the heat from the CPU and GPU, so the heat coming out is a good thing.

It will not harm your computer. But you may want to make sure that your computer is free of dust and has adequate air flow around it. The tower should never be enclosed in a tight location.

3. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Nocash tends to take up a lot of processor clock and RAM. This tends to result in the components heating up. The fan will automatically compensate, hence why it's blowing like crazy. The computer shouldn't have any risk of overheating, unless you've overclocked your system. Computer manufacturers make sure than cooling fans can take the heat load.

4. bobobob1

So, as long as the fan is blowing, everything is ok?

5. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

It should be, I use no$gba too and it happens to me a few times, but I can still use it normally though.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Also, laptops are more prone to overheating than desktops, due to restricted airflow within the chassis.

7. bobobob1

So, would it be dangerous to play DS games on a laptop? What amount of memory, processor speed, etc would be required for a laptop to safely play DS games on no$gba?

8. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it, they get hot pretty easily. And are no where near as powerful as some of the recent desktops.

9. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I played FFTA2 on my grandmother's laptop when I was bored. It's not going to overheat. Just don't set it on something soft like a blanket, make sure it's on a hard surface so nothing blocks the air vents.

10. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

I don't think it will be really dangerous, I play no$gba on laptop and it's fine.

My processor is dual core 2.0 Ghz, with 2GB of Ram and it play smooth on no$gba (if you use nocash renderer that is)

The processor of the comp. seems to have more effect to the No$gba's performance.

11. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

My laptop is abysmal, even if I have plenty of air space around the fan, it makes my cold room feel warm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.