1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Over MB download!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bsarmini, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsarmini

bsarmini Active Member

Yeah I download games and it says that for example it is 35MBs but when I download it onto my micro sd card it is 50MBs. And this is wasting ALOT of space in my sd card can anyone please help! ??? :(

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

When you download a file from Romulation it is compressed in RAR, ZIP, 7ZIP, etc. format.
    This reduces the file size and makes for easier storage on the servers and faster transfers to the users.

When you decompress a file, it gets larger. It is returned to it's original size.

Example:
    3902 - Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor (U)(OneUp).rar 46.7 MB (49,068,121 bytes)
    3902 - Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor (U)(OneUp).nds 64.0 MB (67,108,864 bytes)

If you wish, you can use what is called a "Trimmer". ROMs are full of dead space that is just used to fill up the cartridge. This space adds nothing to the ROM and just takes up space.

Here is a link to a trimmer:
    http://techsuki.net/nintendo-ds-rom-trimmer/

How much it "trims" varies depending on the size of the good data in the ROM.

Example:
    3902 - Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor (U)(OneUp).nds (trimmed) 59.7 MB (62,699,670 bytes)

See? Not much of a difference, only a few MB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.