1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Original Zelda problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by archlvt, Jun 14, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

I'm trying to play the original zelda for nes on my DS.

I'm using the nesDS emulator on my Acekard2i, the akaio firmware is all up to date, as the card is pretty much brand new and I just started using it. Basically, the game just runs too fast. I double checked on youtube for the true game speed, and there's a huge difference, and it's making the game really hard to play.

I tried super mario bros as well, and it works flawlessly on nesDS, it's only zelda having the problems. Is this a known issue? Are there any solutions? I (of course) got the rom here at romulation.com if that helps. Perhaps someone could give it a try and help troubleshoot it with me?

Everything else thus far has worked flawlessly on my acekard (except a bunch of snes games, but that was to be expected since a lot of them don't work for ANYONE).

Anyway thanks in advance for the (hopefully) helpful replies.

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Are you holding down R?

If so, then release it because that is the fast-forward button.

The game works fine for me.

3. archlvt

Come on I'm not that dumb :p

But no, it's not at a fast forward speed, it's playable, just REALLY hard. If fast forward were the case, then mario bros would be having the same issue. if it works fine for you, it must be a faulty rom. I notice that when I download retro roms, the rar gives me like 80 different versions of said rom and I have to root through them all to find the actual regular rom. Perhaps I picked the wrong one, I try to go with the one with the shortest and most basic title like The Legend of Zelda (!).

I dunno, I'll redownload it.\

**edit**

I downloaded it again. I extracted "Legend of Zelda, The (E) [!].nes"

Still going too fast. I could understand it if it were the emulator, but it can't be since mario bros works perfectly at the right speed.

I don't know if it matters or not, but the TONE of the sounds and music is not only faster but higher pitched as well like a really poorly tuned instrument.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It's not the rom.

It's the emulator.

And always go for the (!) roms. They're the original ones.

Here's my copy of the emulator if you want to try it. - http://www.mediafire.com/?tyzajidjgce
    Straight from my MicroSD Card too.

5. archlvt

If it were the emulator, then wouldn't mario bros have the same issue?

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I don't know. :p
    Probably not. What version are you using?

Try the U version of the game and see if that makes a difference.

7. archlvt

**edit**

Found the problem. nesDS is not compatible with pal (E) versions of any game. The rom itself is fine. The emulator itself is fine, but nesDS just hates (E) games.

So I just got one of the (U) files with quotes. It seems normal enough, and it's working at the proper speed.

Apparently this nesDS hating (E) games is universal, so remember it if anyone else has any trouble with nesDS speeds.

8. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

let me ask you a different question.

Why can my flashcard emulate Pokemon Platinum and not Dementium 2? (I can play it, but it is an example :))

Some games are hard to emulate.
    The NesDS can't run all games without any errors.

Taht's why they update their homebrew-emulator.
    To enlarge their compability-list ;)

try another kernel, another NES emulator or download another rom,
    because sometimes the roms aren't hacked properly.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

our roms are clean, that is they are untouched. they contain the 100% unaltered data from the cartridge.

10. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Those roms have anti-piracy, but there was no such thing back then, and more importantly, you're not talking about emulation, you're talking about flashcarts. Different thing really.

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I knew it. :p
    I suspected that once you tried the PAL version again.

12. archlvt

In this case it's not a matter of some games being easy or hard to emulate. As previously stated, you're experiencing anti piracy. This is a completely different matter altogether.

You should probably read the whole topic before you go quoting me like that though, as I solved my problem and got it working last night, especially if you're going to feed me misinformation :p

Sometimes it helps just to have someone to brainstorm with....That, and I googled it and someone had the exact same problem with another nes PAL game, so that's how I figured it out.

Something is kinda bugging me though. Save states on nesDS only work SOMETIMES. I went to load a save and I went way back, lost a bunch of time and items because the save states hadn't been saving for the last hour. Very annoying. I can never tell when it works and when it doesnt.

13. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

With nesDS, just hit the save state button. It has never failed me once. This is the issue I have with the awful Lameboy emulator. Even when the save states choose to work, it is a rare occurrence. Also, the nesDS does not save in game flawlessly. No emulator on the DS does. So don't depend on in-game saves. Also, there is only one save state per game in that emulator as far as I can tell, so don't let others play it or anything, or your data will disappear quick.

Otherwise, I don't know what the issue is. Just hit the save state button maybe twice to make sure it actually saved, and keep going.

14. archlvt

I do hit the save state button, it just wasn't registering.

As far as lameboy goes, I use the ingame save and it works fine. Just press X right after saving ingame. Lameboy is the more reliable one out of the two IMO.

15. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Then we have very conflicting experiences. :p

Make sure you hit the button twice like I said. The first time you tap the screen, you may only be activating the touch screen rather then hitting the save state button.