1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Organizing ROMs

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by dancubs, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

In your flashcart of choice, how do you organize your ROMs? Do you create a "Games" folder and dump 'em all in there? Or do you create folders alphabetically? or By Genre?

I'd like to get some tips. :)

And one more question on this, how does AKAIO arrange ROMs? I dumped all my ROMs into my "Games" folder on my MicroSD, and there seems to be no arrangement. :/ The first one on the list is Mario Kart DS, and the last one was Trackmania DS. How is it sorted?

2. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

When you have the folder open (on your pc), right click an empty space, and Sort By: Alphabetical.

3. dancubs

So AKAIO arranges and displays your ROMs according to how they were arranged in your PC?

4. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I do it like this:

Games (homebrew files are in this folder
    - Professor Layton (professor layton games are in there)
    - Mario (mario games are in there)
    - Other (all other games are in there)
    - etc.

So basically I sort them by series :)

But for SNES and GBA games...I just dump them in the NDSSFC/NDSGBA gamepak folders :p

5. dancubs

Hmmm. Does it work well for you? I mean, you use a SCDS2, right? Im on AKAIO. Can you suggest how I could organize mine?

6. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

This is what I do:
    Code:
    /Games/NDS
    /Games/GBA
    /Games/NES
    /Games/SNES
    /Games/GB&GBC

7. yoshi2889

Hmm...Yes it works well for me.

Just put the games you download in the serie's folder. You will get used to it after a while.

It works in list mode.

8. archlvt

It's universal. It takes whatever order you put them in there on the pc. Did you think it was random? Doesn't matter if you use akaio or not. Akaio isn't what does the work, the SD card is. You can name your games whatever you want and put them in whatever order you want, and however you do it in the folder on your pc, that's how it'll show up on your acekard.

All your acekard does is form the bridge to deliver the data from your SD card to your DS system. The acekard and its firmware doesn't house the data at all, the microSD does.

9. yoshi2889

AKAIO does part of the work.

10. dancubs

Alright. It's been done. I renamed all the ROMs on my card, chopped off the release numbers and it got arranged alphabetically. Much easier to run through now.

11. I don't think I can organize
    my roms on a TTDS :(. What
    do you think, Kiekoes?

12. yoshi2889

Yes you can.

Everyone can organize ROMs, it doesn't matter what their card is.

13. archlvt

Again, the organization takes place on your PC, not on the card. The card does not do the organizing.

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

No. AKAIO will arrange them alphabetically or numerically automatically. It's programmed to do that.

15. dancubs

What is it, really? I'm getting confused. I know that how I arranged it on my PC is how it appears in AKAIO, but come on. Does AKAIO really have anything to do with arranging em?

16. archlvt

No, it doesn't. Akaio does NONE of the work. Ace you really have to stop giving people false information, you do it to me quite often as well.

Your flash cart does, and I repeat, for the millionth time, ***NONE OF THE ORGANIZING***, it is ENTIRELY based on how you organized it in the folder on your PC.

17. dancubs

With that said, and proven to work for me as well, I shall leave it at that.

If anyone else has any tips on how to organize your ROMs on your cart for easier access and what not, please let me know. :)

18. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

I'm using EDGE v1.11, I just dump my games on the root. Once I made a mistake, making separate folders for "Games" and "Save Files" (I didn't know back then)

19. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

On a side note, I was in a rush to get to work and I was answering the question of organization on the AK2i. AKAIO arranges the roms alphabetically. I know that arranging roms on the computer doesn't have anything to do with with the flashcart or how it reads the files.

The way the question was asked, sounds to me as if the OP wanted to know if arranging roms on the computer affected the organization of roms on the flashcart. I was simply stating my answer.

It's quite annoying when you say that I am always giving false information. I have seen quite a few posts of other people with VERY false posts...

The names of the roms has everything to do with organization on the cart. You rename the roms on the computer to how you want it on the cart. Alphabetically. The cart will organize them to how you have named them.