1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Opinion? Cyclo Evolution - R4 - EZ Flash V --- user thoughts?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by awfreak, Sep 27, 2007.

1. awfreak

awfreak Active Member

i've read all the specs, and the web reviews which all come out mostly the same....
    i want to know what actual longer use users think?
    i've got one shot at this - no replacements, no returns (have to order away for it)

Here's what it seems to me (knowledge - only book)

-Cyclo has the MOST features, and the Hybrid tool is good to have
    -R4 is the longest proven basic rom play device
    -EZ5 has the Highest Game compatibility

ISSUES:

*EZ5 does NOT have Autodetect save type - and always need to upgrade the game type list
    *Cyclo is too much money for what it does
    *R4 too much updating and need to flash the device

Thougths?

Thank you in advance

(ps- i did read the favorite flash poll)

2. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

R4 is GOD and updating it is easy as pie and in the end all of them need updating
    r4 cheap, easy, reliable

3. disturbiated

disturbiated Guest

actually, to use the R4 you do NOT need to flash your DS. also, the R4 can play ANY game out right now on the ds with something as simple as a patch. the only game I've encountered that needs a patch is worms 2, and the internet browser ( which needs ram pak ) i put a working worms one in the technical help section. I'd say, R4 all the way. cheaper than Cyclo, and the best bang for your buck.

note: the R4 doesn't support GBA

4. awfreak

awfreak Active Member

Thanks-

My costs (in case this weighs in as replies have included R4 being cheapest, which it is "not" for me)

R4 - $44 before tax and shipping
    Cyclo - $55 before tax and shipping
    EZ5 - $35 before tax and shipping (but no reader included)

thanks again

(i read a bunch of reports that said compatibility issues with R4, and that the cheap EZ5 had highest positive rating?)

5. disturbiated

disturbiated Guest

whered you read those reports? all the games I've tried work perfectly.

6. h8uthemost

h8uthemost Well-Known Member

Go with the Cyclo, definitely. No games need the arm7 fix like the R4. And out of all my carts, the Cyclo is one of my most used carts.

And we don't even know if the R4 team or going to be around much longer, while TeamCyclops is going strong.

Safe bet, and the better cart out of the three(imo), is the Cyclo.

7. awfreak

awfreak Active Member

First Release Test Web Reviews

I couldnt find anything recent
    The early reviews I got said the R4 was probably the worst compatibility, the EZ Flash was Best (but no autodetect filetype) and the Cyclo automatically created a game save file for you at start.

Thats what I mean, it's hard to wade through the truth of these things.

(and my cheap used R4 just vanished, seller sold from under me, sucks, but confirms I should buy new anyway)

Honestly, the way I've been viewing it is this---

Buy R4 as a last resort, Buy Cyclo if I can afford it, and Buy EZ5 best choice if there was autodetect.....

8. disturbiated

disturbiated Guest

quote author=awfreak link=topic=2344.msg16148#msg16148 date=1190930429]
    the Cyclo automatically created a game save file for you at start.
    [/quote]R4 creates a save file for you when you load the game.[

9. awfreak

awfreak Active Member

yes, and i just found a seller saying the EZ Flash 5 also auto detects and it's EZ5 that uses the Hybrid tool.

humm... making me think, what's the big thing about the Cyclo then? more like a contest between EZ5 and R4

cyclo --- im not the type to use the cheat feature or enhanced modes..... darn... and i was almost self-talked into the cyclo <grin>

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not sure about EZ Flash V, but my understanding was that the EZ Flash 3 in one is an addon for an R4DS...

11. h8uthemost

h8uthemost Well-Known Member

Actually, they all have 100% compatibility I believe(all slot 1's for that matter). But, what you need to know, is that you need a good fast microsd for any slot 1 cart. If you have something like a Sandisk, you're going to get slowdown and lockups in a couple games(and if there are games that give slower microsd's trouble now, there's bound to be future games that will give them trouble too).

So no matter which cart you go for, get yourself a good Japan made microsd. They're the fastest around. Kingston, Nokia, and Toshiba are some of the Japanese microsd's I have, and they all perform flawlessly.

And actually, a couple other carts I would recommend would be the SCDS1 and the G6 Real. The SCDS1, G6 Real, and Cyclo are my favorite cart. All have their own unique features, and all are great carts(but I'm sure you're not interested in these since you didn't mention them).

12. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Get the Cyclo for sure! They have 100% rom compatibility without any patching or fixes so you can just download the roms from RomUlation and use them straight away. Updates are regular, and if a new game doesn't work they release a firmware update for it, and updating is as easy as placing a file on your memory stick an booting the Cyclo up. Beautiful GUI which is very easy to skin as well, featuring multiple skin support. I could rant on and on, but if you are going for top of the line the Cyclo is your choice. It may not be god yet, but when they release real-time save/load (as is planned for furture firmware) it will be :D

13. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

to be onest get what u want everyone has a different opinion because it will be what they have and are used to they all do the same things so what ever is easyest to get get it. people talkin about r4 with patchin probs is bull i've never had a prob but then i update firmware when new one is released. slot one cards do the same things at the end of the day. the only thing u need to take time thinking about is slot two cards

14. joneill

joneill New Member

Howdy,
    I started out about a month ago with the Evolution and it is excellent. However, I picked up an R4DS mainly because my wife wanted my white DL Lite
    and I bought a Crimson/Black DSL and the Evolution doesn't have a black case (yet). Anyway, I like the R4 even better; more themes available and you can
    store 12 different ones at a time. And, I like the menu system on the R4 much better too. Price was never a consideration, just the fact that the Evolution
    only came in white, but the R4 is a keeper. Would recommend it to anyone starting out.

15. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

You can store unlimited skins on the Evo, and change between them on the go. What version of firmware were you on?

16. Kyranik

Kyranik New Member

I'd say an advantage of the Cyclo Evoltuon is that it can use SDHC cards, which can go up to 8gbs (And can theorecitally reach 32gbs, once they improve the technology), compared to a 2gb normal SD card.

But if you don't want all that space, don't want to buy a pricey MircoSDHC card, or dont mind swapping SD cards, it doesn't matter.

17. awfreak

awfreak Active Member

So now Cyclo is OUT OF STOCK. Some stores have raised expected prices.... and no one really wants to take credit cards by phone any more .... AHHHHH

And to boot, R4 has just came back into the scene, and with a new design......

The Cyclo team has amazed me with their support, both official and unoffical - and there policies.

I emailed them about the faulty batch one issue, and they told me how to detect batch 2 for sure.... I wasn't even a customer.

That might be worth the extra money alone.................................

jb

ps----- I posted before the last replier---- sorry-----

ABOUT SDHC CARDS

At first glance, what makes the Kingston Japan cards superior in compatibility is their SPEED. They have an 8mbs read and 6 write.... no one is even close.

The First SDHC cards i was lookin at were at best 4mbs !!!!!!

I just read further study of KINGMAX CLASS 6 micro SDHC (make sure it's class 6) -- their read speed blows Kingston away --> 19-22mbs !!!!!!!