1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Online with Roms on NDS?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Swarsh, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

Hey guys,
    just wondering is it possible for us to go online using roms? on the NDS?

Thanks,
    Swarsh

2. MidnightBlade

MidnightBlade Member

Mostly, no. But I think there's this one build of Desmume that can communicate through multiple instances of the emulator (on the same computer obviously) and through wifi to another computer, with some fancy schmancy IP exchanging.

3. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Do you mean using a flashcart, or an emulator on your PC? If you mean with an emulator, then CynicalCnight is right. If you mean on a flashcart, then yes, most games work fine online on most cards.

4. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

On a TTDS card, just wondering if i can go online on a patched pokemon white and trade?

5. Fredbox

When you say patched, do you mean you are using cheats, or is it just an AP patch? If it's just an AP patch, it should work fine (I think), but if it's a cheat, I dunno. I'm not 100% sure on the recent Pokemon games though, so it's possible it wont work at all. Sorry.

6. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

Nah theres no cheats on it, i think its just AP patched!
    the only problem is even if it allows online will i be able to do everything a normal hardcopy pokemon online can do?

Thanks man

7. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

As long as there are no cheats, and just an AP patch, it's as good as a real copy

8. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

Oh I see,
    But the problem is, there is an option before I start the game that allows me to cheat but I have not used any of the cheats.

Does that count as "has cheats" or is it still ok?

Thanks,
    Swarsh

9. Fredbox

If you've not turned any on, then they have no effect whatsoever.

10. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

Hmm I see, so if i dont ever use cheats then I can just go online?

Btw I have a hardcopy of pokemon and playing also on rom as I want to trade between myself~

Is it like legal for me to go online with rom version? or is it still ok?

Thanks

11. Fredbox

If you're worried about legality, you're already breaking the law. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work if you have access to 2 DSs.

12. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

I heard that if you have a hardcopy a rom is not illegal?
    But yeah I see what you mean :)

so going wifi with my ds's is not a problem?

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if you make a copy of a cartridge you own, it is not illegal so long as you dont use both at the same time, and you dont share the rom. Downloading a rom of a cartridge you own is illegal.

14. Swarsh

Swarsh Member

Hmm, I see~

Guess I'll find out how to make a copy of my cartridge then!

Thanks for info guys!

15. Fredbox

I thought the act of downloading a rom was illegal, regardless of whether you own the original game or not. Anyway, this isn't the time to be getting into debate about legality.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes the downloading is illegal regardless. If you dump your own rom from your own cartridge, that is legal.