1. This forum is in read-only mode.

One Day As A Lion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Almo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

OK I thought id just post this little review/preview for an album that I have become rather addicted to.

One Day As A Lion is an LA rock band comprised of only two members, it has been a long term project between Rage Against the Machine frontman Zack de la Rocha and former The Mars Volta drummer Jon Theodore.

This album, self titled 'One Day As A Lion' is an interesting mix of rap, keyboards (Zack) and drums (Theodore) and is a must listen for any RATM fan or anyone interested in the rap/rock scene.

The short album consists of only 5 tracks:

Wild International
    Ocean View
    Last Letter
    If You Fear Dying
    One Day As A Lion

Releases Tuesday 22nd July in the US. (Scene pre-release is out already though).

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm planning to get the whole album once released. I'm a massive RATM fan (from userbar), have nearly all their songs on my iPod. What no guitar?! Where are you Tom Morello?! :p I'd say Zach is doing vocals, that's what he does best.

3. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

yeah zack has vocals and keyboards, and imo it doesnt need guitar, the point was to be different, not to be RATM with a different drummer lol

4. anandjones

Ah I guess, since it's supposed to be more in rap (RATM was considered Rap Rock). Don't forget the bassist :p Also, a interesting mix of instruments there as well, being different is Zach's style, RATM was one of the first bands to have rap mixed with rock, or punk.

5. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

just incase you didnt read this, this is what they aimed to do:

This is music about space - the space between friends and collaborators where ideas form; the space in a song where the tension builds waiting for the next wave of sound; the space in the corners of the recording studio (Sinatra’s old room at Ocean Way) where the sound gathers to fade and die. One Day As A Lion worked hard to capture that space on tape, unadulterated, unmolested, from heart to hand to skins to mics to tape to speaker to ear.

6. anandjones

Unmolested :p Ah, so no editing involved aye. Guess that's what it means.