1. This forum is in read-only mode.

OMFG >:-( AVATAR

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by devinjulian, Dec 28, 2007.

1. devinjulian

devinjulian Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but being an anime fan, I think that Avatar: The Last Airbender is a load of shit. It IS NOT Anime. Anime= Japanese cartoons, mostly coming from a manga (Japanese graphic novel). Avatar is an "Americanime" and is just plain old juvenile. This is Nickelodeon we're talking about here. :-\

Sorry, Fans of Avatar,
    DevinJulian

2. devinjulian

Let the great war start. --->

3. Zanderif

Zanderif New Member

I don't like Avatar, but I think as far as anime that appears on American television, it's pretty good. The voiceovers are decent, as opposed to Japanese imports that most networks get. (Naruto, Eureka seveN, etc.)

I like Japanese animes far more, though. Death Note, as you seem to like right now, is very good. :p

4. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

devinjulian, double posting is against the rules.

Personally, I sort of like Avatar. I guess it's just because of all of the manipulation of the elements that makes each character seem godlike in a sense. I don't think Avatar would look good as an anime. Avatar actually has nothing to do with anything Japanese. The show itself, including all writing present in it, is Chinese. It's sort of like an American cartoon based on the Chinese arts. That pisses me off a little; everyone forgetting about Chinese. Most of the Japanese language came from Chinese. :p

5. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

It's nice to see the West being interested in Eastern cultures. Any way so what if Avatar is not an anime. I don't think Nickelodeon even goes around saying it is one. It's the fans who does it. As for me I think Avatar is okay. I don't particularly like it nor do I hate it. The story line is not that interesting but I do like the characters. And Born2killx, Suki has a little bit of Japanese influence.

6. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

Avatar is an anime influenced cartoon. It mainly has an Asian influence. For example, most of the fighting is Chinese martial arts, however there are various other types such as the pirates using Japanese weapons, and hardly ever is there Chinese history that isn't intertwined with Japanese or Korean or Mongolian or whatever.

7. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Yah! the Avatar series is much like influenced from Asian anime.

8. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Anime is Asian by itself. :p

9. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Not really. It's just the japanese way of saying animation.

10. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well Avatar is cartoon that trying to become Anime...if you notice its quite common this day where american trying to draw anime like cartoon.....following is a very good example.

-Teen Titans
    -Hihi Puffy AmiYumi
    -Martin Mystery (and other Marathon animation products)
    -Kim Possible

they look like anime, but they arent anime...they just have anime like drawings

11. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Don't forget totally spies. They follow anime trademarks such as 'sweating' and 'big bulging veins of fury'

12. ndsrulz1

ndsrulz1 Active Member

anime = animation any animation is "anime" 8)

13. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

^ No. The word anime is a Japanese word for Japanese animation that has the usual aspects of anime(Big eyes, small nose,giant sweatdrops and etc.) :p
    I mean if i make something on flash, that doesn't mean its anime. :-\

14. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

Marathon Animation (Totally Spies, Martin Mystery and Team Galaxy) love to put anime element into their cartoon ^_^

they even include chibi, star sparking or even the downtime (the character sit in the dark corner surrounded by ghost) moment in the cartoon

15. Commander

Commander Member

Anime isnt only purely from Japan. Anime is a style of drawing. The style of anime drawing is not restricted to being solely of Japanese origin. Just thought I would clear that up.

Anyway Avatar is pretty terrible.

16. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Why attempt to brand off a specific term to exclude something because you don't like it? I hate how people see shit structured by genre and term. You don't have to like it, hell, I sure don't, but going and trying to exclude it from something as silly as a broad term is futile, especially when nobody was saying otherwise first.

I don't see why this matters at all, that's what I'm getting at. Stop wasting your lack of carpal-tunnel and discuss something worth-while.

17. Commander

Commander Member

I have to agree.

18. devinjulian

Totally not true, and I agree with above reply.

19. Me.Anime.

Me.Anime. Member

People say Avatar is anime.. or americanime or whatever. I didn't see it the first 50 episodes. :p
    I don't see Avatar as anime, just a cartoon.. but it's pretty cool.

20. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I see Avatar as an anime, kind of, the style is like a cross between anime, and cartoon, but Avatar has a really awesome story