1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Old? Who's Old?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by darkman, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

I am the “old man” around here. Or “older” gamer. 51 years old! I have not been around here long. People have told me that I am too old to be playing video games. I am having the time of my life and feel that my passion for video games will not go away. Love retro games the most. I know other guys my age that play video games, but they would not admit it openly and publicly. They would not go on a forum like this and tell their age. For me, I carry a GBA SP in my pocket all the time. I keep a flash cart in it with NES and Sega master system emulators on it and about 350 games, and maybe around 6 ebooks.
    I enjoy collecting portable handhelds, which is an enjoyable fun hobby! The handhelds are a passion. I presently have 20 handhelds. I do a majority of my emulating games playing on a GP32 and GP2X. (About 99%) The GP2X being my favorite. I play Neo Geo, NES, SNES, Atari Lynx, Sega Genesis, Mame, GBC, Turbo Grafx 16, and Homebrew on it.

I built my own rig and presently run SuSE Linux 10.0 on it. But with the recent joint venture with Microsoft, I may be changing to a different Linux Distro in the near future. I have used Linux for the last eight years. Emulators that I have used on Linux are Znes, Gen, Knoppix Mame, and PSX.

My favorite type games are space shooters like, R-type, Galaga, Juno First, Gradius series, Thunder Force series, Ikaruga, Gate of Thunder, Gunbird series, Blazing Lazors, Hellfire, Zero Wings, W-ring, Cotton, noiz2sa, etc. I think you get the idea. I think RPGs would fall into second place with me. Then certain platformers and fighters. When it comes to fighters it is Neo Geo or Tekken, Soul Caliber, Power Stone, or Dead or Alive.

There are many games that I have played on for years and have not finished, then there are those games that I have played all the way through over and over again.

My favorite console is (and will always remain that way) the Turbo Grafx 16/PC Eingine. ;D I think it is because of all the shooters that are on that system. It was made to play shooters on in my opinion. I still remember picking it up and purchasing it from toys-r-us. I got my Turbo Duo as a replacement in a mail order. I ordered a CD attachment for my Turbo Grafx 16 and they were sold out so they sent me the Turbo Duo as a replacement!! I was shocked and very happy at the time. :D

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

This post just proves that games are truly for all ages.

Welcome darkman; we are proud that you are a member here.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Or rather; welcome back. ;D I still can't get over how cool it is that you're 51 and gaming. :)
    At best my parents can play solitaire... ::)

Don't ever stop man.

4. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

Hey, I started playing video games when I was a teen. A friend of mine who lived a couple of houses down the street got the game called "Pong." That was all it would play. It was a box with two cords that came from it with these knobs. We were awed and mesmerized by it. It was the neatest thing we had ever seen. All we had in our local Arcade were pinball machines.

My family has really been video gamers. Bomberman has been a family fun game for years. I am the Black Bomberman! My daughter grew up around this stuff and she is a gamer. I started her addiction with Bubble Bobble on a Commodore 64.

Games are games, they can be cards, boardgames, or electronic video games. They are all games. Who said that video games are for younger people anyway? Where did that idea start? Where did this thinking come from?

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

OMG, I've played one of them :D

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Actually the older generation gave the younger generation that impression. Most people above a certain age frowns on gaming being too violent, or say it's devil work and people should play some card instead. With time it has just become generally accepted that young people were the only gamers.

I personally know two gamers your age now. And I'd like to see more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.