1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Okay so I know dstwo will work

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Mar 25, 2011.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

on the 3ds, but will using it cause Nintendo to brick the whole console like they threatened? I think I remember seeing that they have some kind of network that can't be shut off, other than wifi, that will tell them if you're using a flash cart.

On that note, will the dstwo even be affected since the DS thinks it's a true retail cart? I might buy a 3ds just for the analog pad if the dstwo will work without risk of having nintendo shut down my console.

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

The bricking thing would be illegal in most western countries making it doubtful that it's true. Pretty much impossible really. I can't guarantee there won't be consequences of some kind (possible system banning could be in the future I would think), but the whole rendering your system useless thing is BS fear mongering.

The DSTwo acts like any other flash cart in the respect that it tricks the DS into thinking it's a retail DS cart. The 3DS will have firmware updates made to check and block each and every flash cart on the market including the DSTwo, iEvo, and Acekard2i as time progresses. 3DS firmware updates are probably going to be more often too to try to avoid a DS scenario. It seems like the 3DS still has the same DS checks that it had before, so most updated DS flash carts worked with only a minor update or none at all.

In the end, it's kind of a use at your own risk deal until we know the consequences. They won't be extreme like a system brick, but we can't say for sure they won't be there. Nintendo has also said flat out that in not so far away firmware updates, flash carts will be blocked. Probably a firmware update that adds appealing features too.

3. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

The DSTWO does not act like every other cart. The ds can recognize that other carts are flashcarts, and so developers can take anti-piracy measures to stop them (until patch time), whereas the DSTWO is recognized as a true retail cart, bypassing any and all forms of anti-piracy without a patch. I'm wondering if ths 3ds will also detect the DSTWO as a true retail cart just as the DS does.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

The DSTwo uses the processor as the work around. It still needs an update to work sometimes like every other flashcart does.

And yes, it does act as every other flashcart because it plays roms, like EVERY other flashcart does. With extras of course, but its primitive functions are the same.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

All DSi 1.4.1 compatible flashcarts are recognised as retail carts, that was what had to be done to bypass the block put into the DSi 1.4.1 update. The 3DS will most likely uses a different mechanism to detect flashcarts and so all flashcarts will at some point require updating to bypass any further blocks nintendo implement.