1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ok, im tired, really need some help here

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Devilkid32176, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Devilkid32176

Devilkid32176 Well-Known Member

ok, its sorta of a request, im having awful trouble with converting .sps files from gamefaqs to workable save files for my flashcart, can anyone please help me on this
    here is the save files:

1. http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/save/pokemon_emerald_h.sps
    2. http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/save/pokemon_firered_d.sps
    3. http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/save/golden_sun_j.sps

if someone could convert these to 128kb save files instead of the 64kb files that i keep getting, i would be very grateful for this

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Well, read this.

3. Devilkid32176

hey mega, i have tried the VBA method and i only get the 64kb files :( and they will not register in my flashcart, i have been fighting with this for a couple of days now and i give up on it

ok, i didn't mean to sound like a prick on this but i have been fighting with the VBA method for a couple of days but my end result is a 64kb file and it tells me that my save file was corrupted and deleted

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

go to this place which is an online save files converter:

http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php

Have fun!

5. Devilkid32176

hey cahos, this isnt for NDS games :(the converter site doesn't support .sps files from what i see on it :(

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You will probably get more HELP if you post things in the HELP sections. I do not understand why people keep using the sharing sections to discuss help topics...

Let me move this for you.

7. Devilkid32176

im sorry >__<

umm.. tirith do you know anything about .sps files?

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

If you looked closely at the top navigation bar of the page, you'd see that it says "Convert GBA Save file (Coming Soon) & the option is un-clickable. It used to you could click on it & navigate to the GBA Saves converter page. It is disabled for now as they (shunyweb) is updating the converter at the moment.

EDIT:

I re-read what you are asking for & I think I figured out what to do...

First off, your save files can not be expanded to 128kb if that's what you're asking for.

Anyway what you need to do is before loading your Pokemon game & the .sps file you need to manually set the output battery file size on VBA from 64kb to 128kb. To do this, on VBA's menu bar click "options" > emulator > save type. Choose 128kb.

Now before you load in the Pokemon game & .sps file DELETE the 64kb .sav file that was created prior to you changing the file size setup. Run VBA with the Pokemon ROM & load up the .sps file & it should create new .sav file which are 128kb in size.

9. Devilkid32176

thats what im saying though, i have been trying to cnvert with uniquegeeks converter too it but it doesn't really help me, then the VBA method gives me a 64kb save file even after i change the save type to 128kb, i have been at this issue for a couple of days now, so i thought i would ask for help :(

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Hmmm.... this could be a problem...

You say you changed the Battery output file size to 128kb & when you load the .sps file the game still produces a 64kb file, am I right?

11. Devilkid32176

yep, done it with all three saves :(
    listen i really don't mean to be a prick on this, but im just aggravated at this issue

12. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

Try this?
    http://www.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?26252-G6-Save-Converter

13. Devilkid32176

@Zydaline:
    o_O i didn't thought that this would work for it

gonna to try that program now

@cahos:
    here is the steps i took:

1. cleared out all settings & old saves from folder
    2. booted VBA up changed the save settings, then closed it out for the .ini file to be made
    3. restarted VBA and loaded the right rom
    4. went to file > import > Gameshark snapshot
    5. it prompts me that it overrides the old save
    6. when in the game, i properly save through the in-game menu
    7. checked folder and shows only a 64kb file, not a 128 kb file

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Zydaline:
    *WooT* it works, with an exception of an error, it converts the gamesave, going to test them now ^__^

@Cahos:
    really dude, i don't mean to be a prick :)

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I've been thinking about this for a bit know & I think the .sps file you are using was created on a copy of VisualBoyAdvance that has it's .sav file size set up to 64kb, this because as you load up a .sps file it natively creates a .sav & a .sgm file upon loading. My guess is, just like with a .sgm file which is a "save state" file that not only "records" the state your game was in, a .sps file (Gameshark Snapshot) also "records" the settings VBA was on when the file was created.

How about trying this method...

While VBA is still running, delete both .sgm & .sav files the .sps files creates. Now change the output battery size to 128 (while the game is still running), then reset the game. Do an actual in game save & check if that will make a 128kb .sav file.
    Bold part, this seems to proves my point, the .sps file does indeed change your settings. Have you looking at the file size settings again while the game is loaded with the .sps file running?

15. Devilkid32176

yeah i make sure it doesn't kick my settings back to 64kb

also the program didn't work >__<

hey cahos, what is the most stable method of changing the save file? what im asking is this

my ez-flash client has different settings on it, but i have never thought about messing with them til now, here is the settings i can modify:

save file: FLASH_TYPE (SRAM, EEPROM, FLASH, UNKNWON)
    save file: 1024k Bits (0k Bits, 64k bits, 128k Bits, 256k Bits, 512k Bits, 1024k Bits)

what would be the most stable of these to change it to?

edit: ok, i thought i could mess with the save file size through it but apparently it don't like that too well >__>

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I'm not knowledgeable with flashcards I'm afraid as I'm purely an emulator user. I can't play on actual handhelds as the screen/s are way too small for me to view without difficulty, hence I play on emulators on my PC at max screen size/s.

17. Devilkid32176

ok, i fiddled with it and found out that the golden sun game works with a 64 or 128kb save file o_O but still having an issue with the pokemon ones

hey cahos, could you change them for me if your not too busy??

18. Devilkid32176

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Here's a brilliant idea for you.

Go back to GameFAQs & re-download a better save file or .spc file, preferably one that is already 128kb in size. The file sizes are listed on the far right of the information bars for each file.

20. Devilkid32176

ok,ok.... i will hunt another down, but one of the saves is a one only file, that is why i asked to convert it