1. This forum is in read-only mode.

oh the joy of maths homework.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AcroneSF, Sep 2, 2009.

1. AcroneSF

AcroneSF Well-Known Member

This is a maths problem i just solved and graphed.
    I did the picture myself :)

[​IMG]

One down. 23 more to solve and graph :-\

2. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

Good job, Good luck :)
    It's about Coordination? Integration?

3. AcroneSF

You know, i have no idea why we are learning this.

4. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Psst.. try wolfram alpha, or matlab. :p

The graphs teach you how to work with quadratic functions, and how you can process them. Later, when you start doing measurements, it might be that you will use this again (actually, I did it for my thesis, in hardware). You need the basics before you can do the advanced stuff.

5. AcroneSF

ah ok.. thanks for the explanation.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Honestly-if year 10 math screwed me over-how could I understand what this on on about!

And I still can't believe I'm a cashier lol!

*goes back to short changing customers.

Seriously though I suck with math-I have no idea what this one is about-and don't explain I'll run away if I see it :(

7. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Well i'm only 13, so i guess i'm allowed to look in awe at your math. What year is this??

8. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Koyu, you must understand that too. It's in the national final test. ;D

9. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I just learned about quadratics last year. 8th grade. But we could use graphing calculators, so I could just tap in the function and check the graph/table for the answers. :p

10. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

I need to go refresh my math skills. Been away from that kind of thing for 5 years.. :D

11. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

My school starts in 3 weeks and Ihave no idea what are we gonna learn this year :/

12. jadster 1996

jadster 1996 Well-Known Member

me too,though I'm reviewing what I learned last year so I should be ok :)

13. oldboi

oldboi New Member

Wow I haven't done any math in years - I guessing I still love it cause I have this sudden urge to solve the problem myself!

14. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Was the quadratic formula required by the problem itself, or are you free to use any algebraic technique to obtain the x-intercepts?

If it happens to be the latter, you could have just factored your quadratic equation as a product of two quantities.

You should have learned this stuff in year 8 at least :\

15. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Basically, you could have easily factorised the quadratic expression into the form y=(x-2)(x-3). Since y=0 at the x intercepts, the two answers are those two numbers that force the equation to equal zero - 2 and 3.

Otherwise, good.

16. diskjocki

diskjocki Well-Known Member

I'm a bit more then half way through year 9 and I haven't even started learning that. All this talk of numbers confuses me.

17. AcroneSF

im a 15 year old in grade 10 in Australia. Dont know the equivalent grade in America.

18. forte_amirul

forte_amirul Well-Known Member

Same except that us just started.Maths in Grade is easy although when I'm lost in track,I don't know what am I doing.

19. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

It's effective, but I don't like this method. It's more of an insight thing than a computational method. Once you hit fractions it becomes overly complicated. And you can't teach a computer to do this.

20. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What?!?! What the hell did my calculator just do???