1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Official "This website seized by feds" Graphic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UltraSword, Jul 5, 2010.

1. UltraSword

UltraSword Member

Although deep in my gut which you can find this boingboing article of the same name that also shows the graphic here
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05/official-this-websit.html

I find the pic to be another Malware[Scareware] Pic that is supposedly popping up on filesharing or similar sites. I find it afake graphic cuz of two things. The Department of Justice bird line detail looks amateurish plus the bird and everything on the insignia doesn't look professional like here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/US-DeptOfJustice-Seal.svg/600px-US-DeptOfJustice-Seal.svg.png

I'm not sure why I'm posting this but just thought I want to.
    Update: After researching this after I posted this article, Its 100 % Fake the ICE Badge on the "Official" graphic is FAKE as seen in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IcebadgeLG.jpg

Ice is a unit of Homeland Security that deals with Immigrations and Customs and nothing of anything dealing with FBI,If this pops up here I'm giving you guys a heads up that its mostlikely scareware

Update 2 Although Ice does deal with Intellectual Property the Graphic does not contain their Official Badge

2. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Re: Official "This website seized by feds" Graphic[Graphic Fake]

How is it scareware? It's an image, not software.

And I don't see the point of questioning the legitimacy of the image, especially when it's available for download on a government website:

http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/multimedia/archive/index.htm?top25=yes&year=all&month=all&state=all&topic=all

3. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

"Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you..."

I'm sorry that was the first thing that popped in my head when I seen that.

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

This is actually a bit more serious than you'd think off hand. Right now it's only a few video sites but this proves that the government is willing to make an active effort to combat piracy, and it's not stopping there, the latest version of the ACTA was recently leaked and it takes anti piracy to a whole new level.

• Piracy is now considered counterfeiting. This means it becomes a federal crime to pirate anything, even if you already own it!
    • Your ISP becomes responsible for every thing you do online, this means if you break the law they can be held accountable, this will most likely result in you being monitored 24/7. Everything you do online will be put under watch.

The US is pushing the ACTA, but several countries are expected to ratify it to some degree.

5. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

OMG! that is just so fucked up! they never do anything about anything until i start doing it, it seems!

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if this goes through there will be an unprecidented explosion in the use of VPNs.

7. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

what's a VPN? may be useful info for the future....

8. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

9. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I saw that sign when i was looking for dragon quest IX earlier on another site

10. MadmanNero

I really wished I hadn't seen that, but I guess it was best to find out now than the hard way already been in hot water once before rather not get nailed after that shit hits the fan.

11. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

This has to be, by far, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. What is there to achieve through pushing something like this? Piracy doesn't hinder sales just about anywhere. If it sucks, people aren't going to buy it anyways, no need to blame piracy on lack of sales of junk.

I find it stupid how badly the government(s) are trying to push that piracy is one of the worst things ever to happen. Yes, it is considered illegal due to copyright and all that. Destroying our privacy to attempt to control it though is going over the top. I don't know about all of you, but I certainly wouldn't want my connection monitored 24 hours a day for the rest of my life due to a rash, over the top policy.

12. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

this kinda seems illegal, because isn't it like the 1st amendment (i think) that states we have the rite to privacy?!?! just seems wrong, if my ISP starts keeping track of me, i'm gonna get an IP blocker.........BTW, how can i get a VPN? i need one....soon....

13. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Calm your horses, it's not time to panic just yet. First of all, the ACTA isn't a law yet, and if people are educated enough about it, it hopefully won't ever be. Also a VPN is likely to cost you money.

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

okay.....how does it become law? (i'm a dumbass when it comes to anything not run by electric....)

15. MadmanNero

I actually don't have a horse, but can I come out of hiding now?

16. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i blelieve you can, but if there's anything you want, better get it before it becomes law, or you will have a federal offense against you (i think.....)

17. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Damn, this is insane. They killed a good site to watch TV episodes, tvshack.net. Sniff... That's just sad. But man, they are really taking this seriously. Damn...

18. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i should put this on my site to scare away members so i can shut it down. :eek:

[​IMG]

19. MadmanNero

Oh trust me I am stockpiling.

20. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

You won't believe this part. It's an "executive order" so congress can't vote on it. This also means it can't change current law...bull.fucking.shit. This has gotta be the first law made by corporations. And I've been following news on ACTA for three years. Through online of course. There has not been one, SINGLE story about ACTA on our local news, world news, shit, even CNN didn't touch it.
    That's for the U.S. anyway, and they're also passing/exporting it to other countries.

Oh, and Doomsday is six months from now.

...where's Rambo when you need him to bust some corporate faces?

Ol' Obamy is a puppet, and I don't think I've got a political alignment anymore.