1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Not Understanding how it all works

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dajuke, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dajuke

dajuke Member

Greetings all. I am completely new to using an playstation emulator, so please forgive my lack of knowledge in attempting to make it work. I recently moved, and during the move my copy of Final Fantasy Tactics broke. I do not have the funds to purchase a second copy, so thought I would try an emulator. I downloaded epsx 1.7, and believe I have it set up correctly. I have used several tutorials I have found here and elsewhere to do so. My issue is that the versions of Final Fantasy tactics I have been able to find online are either in .rar or 7z format, neither of which epsx will open. I have tried on both versions, and my entire screen turns black with an icon of the PS controller in the top right corner. Nothing else happens at this point and I have to press escape to return to the desktop. This occurs even with the version I have downloaded from this site. How do I go about finding/downloading a file of the type that epsx will be able to operate? If there is a thread that addresses this issue I will be happy to go there, I was simply not able to find one on a brief scan. I know I need a .iso or .bin type file, but seem unable to find them. And if I am in the wrong place for this question, please accept my apologies.

If it helps, my version of epsx is 1.7, and I am using Pete's openGL2 Driver 2.9 with scph1001

my computer runs win xp, dual core 2.4 processors, 8 gig of ram, with a 256 MB GeForce 9400 video card.

I also use winware to extract files is that has anything to do with this problem.

2. JayBlue

JayBlue Well-Known Member

welcome to RomU :D
    https://www.romulation.org/PSX/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_%5BU%5D_%5BSCUS-94221%5D.7z.html/
    there you have it.
    enjoy it

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

RAR and 7Zip are archive files. These archives are used to compress files so they can be transferred easier than if they were left uncompressed.

A tutorial on how to use the program WinRAR to extract the files from the RAR or 7Zip file can be found here:
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3880.0

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...You actually need to extract the game from the "rar" format using ethier "winrar" or '7zip".

Once open you could have a bunch of files (ccd, img, iso, etc) so whatever you get leave them together in same place.

At this point you can use the emulator you open directly-run iso.

I never heard of "winware" so prehaps that's the issue.

And if the game is on the site it's the safest to use as well.

...alternitivly, if you have an image burning program (nero works, but I use img burn) you can burn it to a disc and play it like that thru the emulator...

OR even use it on your real playstation-provided it's been modified in some way-a modified ps2 can do same function.

Hope I helped-post back if your unsure.

5. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Have you extract it to a Folder?
    Use either WinRAR or 7-Zip(search it at www.softpedia.com). ;D
    and make sure to read the Common Issue thread

6. dajuke

dajuke Member

Oh wow. I am completely blown away by the promptness, courtesy, and knowledge here. Also I feel kinda dumb now, but that's beside the point. You were all completely right, I only had to extract it after downloading it and at least the opening runs excellently. And once I figured out where the tab for running it windowed mode was I was a happy camper. Thank you all so much.
    Post Merge: [time]1252628837[/time]
    Ok, I THOUGHT I was all good to go, and I imagine this is a commonly asked question but I did a search through the game issues and common issues and couldn't find anything, so I thought I would simply update my post. FFT has played smoothly so far, my problem is now that I am at the first save point on the world map it is completely black, however it will show briefly when I scroll across it. I am not extremely comfortable messing with any of the properties of the video plugin I am using, which is pete's openGL2 I believe. I will do so if that is the recommendation, but thought I would ask the experts first. Other than the world map however, the game is playing excellently so far. Thanks for your help. And if there is a thread or a link where I should look, i will be more than happy to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.