1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NOOB QUESTION! What is the latest firmware for the R4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by abilas, Mar 25, 2010.

1. abilas

abilas Well-Known Member

ok guys, so this is a major noob question, but than again i am a noob when it comes to this stuff.....

but what is the latest working Original R4 Firmware.

i'm still using version 1.18 but i see threads that say version 1.22 is released a long time ago? is there a newer one? and remeber i need to know which one is working and has the most number of fixes for all the games!
    Thanks! 8)

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

1.18 is the final firmware release for genuine R4s. Fake R4s may have additional updates.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Original R4s, yes.

4. Alithepro1

Alithepro1 Well-Known Member

http://www.r4dsland.nl/r4ds-kernel.html

5. ventehxieteh

ventehxieteh Well-Known Member

is this the same with r4-sdhc because they have the same latest firmware 1.18.. or it is different?
    http://www.r4i-sdhc.com this is their site just to clear my head up

6. funkkk

funkkk New Member

www.r4li.com have more firmware that support origian R4

7. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's for r4i (correct me if I'm mistaken) not r4.

8. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

R4li firmware is, as far as I know, the only clone firmware that actually works on original R4s.

9. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

You can also use YSmenu, the DSTT firmware on your R4.

10. tomkyle

tomkyle Member

thats true r4i software works for r4 cards i try different software for different games to work round some problems if usure some provide online help to adive with software for card in use hope this helps

11. abilas

abilas Well-Known Member

so what i see is that, the final firmware on R4 is 1.18, but there is a clone firmware that works for R4. that clone firmware is on the website r4li.com. No other firmware other than the clone firmware and ysmenu work on the R4?

12. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Completely different firmware.

Some others may work on an original. Not much point finding them out though.

13. firefoxx22

firefoxx22 Well-Known Member

it works on the regular r4 as well.

14. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Depending on what kind of R4 you have, the latest firmware is different. Some R4s won't run R4li firmware, and some won't run R4 SDHC, and then some will run R4li and SDHC and not R4 original.

However, because these firmwares have common problems with some games and are fixed by getting YSmenu, I'll have to suggest getting some form of it, even if you only get the NDS file onto your Micro SD card.

Most R4s will run YSmenu. YSmenu is a nice little firmware made by a mysterious person called Yasu that is kind of like a DSTT firmware hack. It uses DSTT system items (like extinfo.dat or infolib.dat and all that junk), but can run on an R4 and can commonly run a bit more games than if you had a DSTT without YSmenu. This means that if you use YSmenu, you can get updates for it at the same time (DSTT-wise. YSmenu itself doesn't usually get an update) as a DSTT user, which is very nice. It also uses files that are easy to update yourself, given you have the right programs, so you can play problematic games without having to find a patch for them (not exactly anyway).
    I believe YSmenu may also support auto-DLDI patching except on some homebrew applications and games, so if on a topic for an official game says DLDI patch it, then in most cases you won't have to. (I know in my case that so far it HAS NOT needed for me to DLDI patch any game besides one homebrew)

Post Merge: [time]1270409453[/time]
    No, it doesn't. I have an original R4. The regular one. But that firmware DIDN'T work on my R4. It made my DS not even recognize there was a card in the slot until I switched back to YSmenu.