1. This forum is in read-only mode.

No$GBA batteries lost on crash

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Shin The Archmage, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Shin The Archmage

Shin The Archmage Well-Known Member

I hate to ask yet another question for No$GBA after using it for so long... please forgive...

There is this really annoying thing on No$GBA... whenever the power is lost you actually lose your battery since the last time you close the emulator... so, the progress you made in a game is just lost and it's like you never saved...

Can anyone help? We get electricity cuts like every day now it seems...

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

well....not sure if you can do anything about that, other than, if the electricity cuts happen on a regular basis, try and figure out when, to avoid having it open....all i can think of....

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

or get a UPS unit.

4. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

some people may not know hat that is loony (myself....)

5. Shin The Archmage

I'm not sure I know what that is myself...

6. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

The game will lose its recent save if the emulator was not closed properly, or crash.
    If you are having a frequent electricity cuts, then you can try to close the emulator just after you save the game, and run it again,
    or use another emulator like DeSmuMe, which have the savestates function.

7. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

if it is lost then make sure you are saving it right. make sure you have the flash thing set to auto. i forget what it is call. But if it aint set right it will not save and if it closes then it has no save.

8. Shin The Archmage

That is good advice. I am usually the kind of person that forgets to close and re load the emu after saving... but I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

9. Loonylion

A UPS (uninterruptable power supply) unit is essentially a giant battery which powers your computer for a period of time after the mains fails. They're usually used on servers to ensure an orderly shutdown or in the case of datacentres, to power the servers until a backup power source (usually a generator) becomes available, however they're also good for people in areas with unreliable power in order to prevent the frequent power cuts causing damage to the computer.

They come in a variety of sizes (measured in VoltAmps (VA)) ranging from about 300VA to tens of thousands of VA (these ones are permanently installed and generally take up a room). Basically, the higher the VA, the longer it will run your computer for (and the more the unit weighs). I have a 1500VA and it runs my computer for between 30 and 40 minutes, which is long enough to realise the power isn't coming back on and shut down properly.

Another thing I've used them for is to power a network at a business I do IT for. They have two networks, one for computers, and the other for phones. Both use the same wiring and the phone calls get sent over the internet. Because phones are so important to them, I designed their phone network to operate the phones on power sent over the network lines rather than mains power at each phone. There is also a 1500VA UPS attached to the distribution switch, and another in the server room powering the phone core switch and the broadband router. This means that in the event of a power outage at the business, their phones will continue operating for over five hours.

10. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

For those who didn't know what it is, as you are posting on the Internet a simple search on the term UPS would be advised.

11. Loonylion

it would also turn up 'united parcel services'

12. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

Of course but you can easily extrapolate it has something to do with computers ;)

13. tiooit23

tiooit23 Member

Or you can use "save file", it backs up your save game.

14. Shin The Archmage

Save file? Like save states?

15. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

save states crash with the No$GBa

16. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

I'm sure he meant the force save on no$zoomer.
    File -> Save Battery File.
    However, it's still unstable.

17. tiooit23

tiooit23 Member

I meant "save state". You can use this: http://www.mediafire.com/?ztymdjdmjn2. I've tested it, no crashing.

18. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

that is a save state. and it doesnt work.

19. tiooit23

tiooit23 Member

That function just backs up your latest save game and saves it into file in "SAVESLOT"( it does not work like "Save state" in GBA games), thus you don't have to close and turn on your emulator over and over again.

20. Shin The Archmage

Now that just saves a whole lot of time! (hates opening and closing emulator over and over).
    I didn't even know No$ could do that.