1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo will auto-update 3ds to prevent piracty

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by zeldafan12, Oct 4, 2010.

1. zeldafan12

zeldafan12 Well-Known Member

I thought this was pretty interesting. Do you guys think it will work?
    I got it from here http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/10/nintendo-will-auto-update-3ds-to-prevent-piracy/

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I'm sure if there's ever a way to hack the system initially, there's a way to stop the auto updates.

Also I seriously hope the system doesn't have the wi-fi on all the time, or you have the option to turn it off. What a waste of battery life.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yes. It'll work.

It may take a while to hack. The Wii took a while, but it eventually was. :)

4. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

2NDed I'd love to see the pirates fight this one ;D

One question though isn't the PS3 on Auto Updates to combat piracy as well?

5. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

*unplugs wifi so the 3DS can't get online*

pirates win?

6. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

*tries to go online for a 3DS hack but can't because the 3DS will auto-update if I plug it in again*

pirates fail?

7. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Couldn't you just un-solder the wifi?
    Its ok if you don't use it.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No, you're given the option to update.

9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

But to play some newer games you may be required to update. As I found out when I tried to play GOW3.

Also, trying to get to the Playstation Store when there's an update available will make you update as well.

10. saddamsdevil

saddamsdevil Well-Known Member

Anti update patches existed for other consoles in the past I believe.

11. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

hackers will find a way to stop the auto updates

12. sonicfanboy

sonicfanboy Well-Known Member

yeah if it wasn't for the ap on the 3ds we could be holding one right now shame. but the useful little thing is the sd card so some update able hack might be made

13. basho1213

basho1213 Well-Known Member

As with all systems before it, the 3ds will be hacked, however this time around i dont think we'll be able to do it
    with just a flashcart i think we'll all need to get our hands dirty and crack it open.

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

The Wii is pretty much of what you're describing. It's all software based (mainly except for chipped consoles).

15. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

one thing.

They're releasing how they can stop piracy on the 3ds to the public, giving hackers a heads up what the piracy measures are and how it is performed. Stupid.

16. saddamsdevil

I would love to be able to soft mod this and install games like that and play from the SD slot :D how awesome would that be? I see a lot of homebrew potential as well :)

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

IF it can be. :p
    If it can be, then I'll be ready! :D

18. saddamsdevil

It can be, question is WHEN will it be.

Remember, Nintendo are the guys who coded the Wii, that thing that gets cracked the same day there is an update EVERY time :p

19. MohsinMVP

MohsinMVP Well-Known Member

Can Nintendo really use auto-updates for the 3DS? I mean thats a total invasion of privacy. In my opinion they can't force anyone to update a system and if they do, you can sue because you paid for your system. Updating something is your choice completely.

20. saddamsdevil

They can and will.

There is a wifi switch on the 3DS however, I suppose they will put a disclaimer along the lines of "By using online services you agree to automatically download and/or install system update files."