1. This forum is in read-only mode.

nintendo wifi problem (for ds)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by sonic532, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonic532

sonic532 Active Member

when my nintendo ds searches for an internet broadband. my a gray lock is next to my internet and it wont let me in!!! HELP ME :'(!!!!! *sob*.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Gray lock means that the network exists and is Secured, but is using settings not supported by the DS. Probably set up WPA2 Encryption on the network, and the DS can only use WEP.

3. sonic532

sonic532 Active Member

I don't understand ???. What should I do to solve this?

4. knightroad

knightroad Well-Known Member

You can't solve, unless you get a new internet set up. You need WEP security on your network and you need to know your password for it as well.

5. sonic532

sonic532 Active Member

darn it! what the heck is a WEP security! so youre telling me i need a new internet broadband!! darn it all!!

i want a solution NOW!! i want to trade pokemon!

6. knightroad

This is WEP is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy

This device might help you:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Wi-Fi-USB-Connector/dp/B000MXMNG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1238228387&sr=1-3

I haven't done research to know if this will fix your problem, but I believe that is what these usb wi-fi devices are for.

There might be some cheaper ones on dealextreme.com but at the moment their page isn't loading for me.

Good luck

7. knightroad

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5858

This is the one that is cheaper and free shipping, however, I have never used these things, but I think the whole point of them is to create a hot spot the DS can use without having to change your whole network set up.

8. sonic532

sonic532 Active Member

thanks because im a noob at wi-fi. please tell me how the nintendo wi-fi usb connector fixes this. my internet already has wireless network though.

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

It creates an access point which you can use. Loony has some specific knowledge about why it would be worse to use. You shouldn't get it, just change your encryption.

10. Light_Of_Darkness

Light_Of_Darkness Well-Known Member

i dont think you should get the nintendo wifi usb connector. it may not let you connect becuz it CAN detect roms and legit games. just get an acess point using no or WEP security

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

No, it cannot. All the USB connector is, is a Wireless connection point for your computer. It makes your computer a Bridge between the second network it creates and your actual internet connection.

It cannot tell the difference between actual games and copies. No more than any other network connection can.

12. sonic532

sonic532 Active Member

oh my god i'm getting confused!!

13. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Just switch your encryption.

14. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Ok the poor guy can't understand any of this so:

The problem is that your current router is not compatible with the DS

The device that you have been linked to is supposed to be an easy fix for this but it's a major pain in the arse to use

Everyone is just suggesting to chance your encryption (IE: change it so it's compatible)
    I just recomend buying a cheap router and making sure it uses WEP

No, just Router

15. sonic532

sonic532 Active Member

wtf is an encryption! hurry because what if i had the dsi and use the dsi shop and browsers. i need wifi. just tell me a simple solution, not any software or hardware swapping!! too much money!! and how do i check my security. damn these nintendo losers. i also want a explanation why they use wep instead of all security sh*ts!!

16. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Woah calm down

An encryption basically protection, so only people with the Password can use the internet through it.

What you seem to misunderstand is that there is no solution that doesn't involve soft or hardware.
    and they use WEP because they chose to, its not their fault that yours is different.

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

If you tell us what router you have (brand and model) we can tell you how to change the encryption to WEP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.