1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo WiFi, got 4 questions about it.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ultimate-Sonic-3000, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

Ultimate-Sonic-3000 Well-Known Member

1: If I use Nintendo WiFi while the game is a ROM, is that bad?

2: Is getting WEP security expensive?

3: How do I get WEP security into my Router?

4: Can you have your old security and WEP at the same time?

2. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

1: wifi with the roms is fine

2: no it's not something you but it should be on your router already

3:go in to your setting and turn it on

4:?? what security are you talking about

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

meaning two types of encryption? No, unless you either have two wifi routers or one that is capable of running multiple SSIDs.

4. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

I know that but will they track it?

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

They will only track that a ds game is on the wifi net, I updated my acekard through nintendo wifi!

Wep is built into routers, it's not like Norton where it's installed (it's nessacary these days to have it), and you need to have the SAME wep code for both the ds and the router to work (ds has to be the same as router).

I'm not sure if there is an old security for wireless-all I know is the ds can work wifi-

-with no protection
    -with wep
    -it will detect wpa (more advanced-again you almost NEVER have to pay for wireless protection, unless someone scams you or something...) but it won't work-only the dsi can even look at that-no ds or ds gamecard will work with it...

(this next part may confuse you)
    I doubt they can even track you through a game, but if your THAT worried, find something that can help...

I can mention it here, but it might make it hard for the mods to track if someone is hacking accounts, and since not sure if I can say it-I shan't say.
    (see?)

Except for that last part, i hope that makes sence and helps :)

6. Loonylion

only way they could feasibly tell you're using a rom is if you're playing a leaked game on wifi before the official release date.

WEP is the oldest and least secure form of wifi encryption, and can be broken in minutes. Nintendo were stupid to only support WEP and if they had any common sense at all they'd release a firmware upgrade to allow WPA support.

7. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

How ???.

8. Loonylion

depends what router you have.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Usually to get into the settings you type in your router's ip adress (google your router brand and model type, or find the web site).

You seen rather new to this-kinda like me when I started mucking about with router settings, god all the problems made by incorrect settings...

At one point I was sick of using wep, so I went in without protection (no wep or wpa) and it worked better, but left me vunerable to someone hacking my net...turned it back on and ds has been offline ever since...

Btw, they won't bother making a fireware update to the ds/ds lite for wpa-it's on the games themselves so even though the dsi can use wpa the games released before it can't use it, so in reality it's a bit harder to just "patch" the ds systems so say mario kart can work on wpa-that is never gonna happen...

10. Loonylion

Not true, it's the firmware in the wireless chip that dictates WEP/WPA support.

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

But the ds games themselves are only wep only-and being read only (the cartridge), it might be a bit difficult since they might need to release a patch or something for the ds games...

Could the old ds upgrade it's firmware though?
    I got a dsi and the set up for the net is different, it's almost like a wii menu in the way it works... and even though this is just a therory, the dsi does have that built in memory that saves data, unlike the old ds where it all get's cleared once the battery is removed...

I know the eventual dsi only games could use wpa, but for the memory bit, I have yet to remove the battery from my dsi to prove my point about it backing it's self there...

I guess what I'm saying is-where would the update be saved too-unless they took orders to take apart the old ds and modified the internal memory (from what I know before the dsi the previos ones had no memory) which would make the dsi pointless...wow nintendo know how to milk us, they push for it and later make a FIXED (both preventing us from using most flashcards and features it should have had before) device...

Man I'm getting way off topic (ZIP)

12. Loonylion

The encryption should be handled by the DS firmware, not the game code. doing it in the game code is just stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.