1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo Announces new DSi

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Seph, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Full Story Here

2. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

The design hasn't changed too radically by the looks of it...

A camera...? If I wanted a camera i'd buy one...
    Built in memory...? How many people have trouble saving games currently? ::)
    Downloadable DS games..? Maybe downloadable classics...but
    I can't see full game downloads taking off...

It remains to be seen what people can do with the SD slot,
    so thats something to watch out for I suppose...

But, I'm happy with my DS...
    I'm not planning on shelling out about(haha) $180 for something wholly similar...

3. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

...wow. i had a feeling i didn't buy the DS Lite for a reason

4. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

Too bad I sold my DS Lite almost 2 years ago. I would be able to laugh at people buying this 'upgrade' called DSi.

5. Noop

Noop Member

Doesn't look "too" bad, but it's not something amazing either. 3MP camera is pretty nifty, but I mean, I wouldn't use my DS for taking pictures. The smaller form factor and larger screen is pretty inciting, but overall I wouldn't go out of my way to get one of these things.

I'm curious to know if the current flash carts work on it though.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Doesn't interest me at all. It's just way too featured. DS and Lite has built in memory, but that's virtual or temporary, so you can't really do anything with it. Carts are used to hold memory. Downloading classics like GBC games would be alright.

7. Renji217

Renji217 Well-Known Member

All its missing is a built in phone!! Man if that was able to call people it would be DA BOMB!!

8. anandjones

That would be gay. I see that they're going to have new firmware software installed, like face manipulation. Would be amusing at first.

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

did nobody else see that part where it says that it has an SD card slot? im sure that will open the hack scene right up, no more slow loading microSDs

10. anandjones

Yeah, I'm sure someone would figure out a way to use that to their advantage. I'm sure Nintendo have ideas.

11. 9NineBreaker9

9NineBreaker9 Well-Known Member

I'm not too thrilled about the DSi's new "features", but I'm unfortunately going to buy it, ONLY because my original DS, the 'Phat' or whatever the hell it is supposed to be called, is starting to kick the bucket.

Had I already bought a Lite, I wouldn't even bother with a 12% slimmer body, 17% larger screen, .3 Megapixel camera, 'enhanced audio', an SD slot for some ungodly reason, the REMOVAL of the GBA slot, and internal memory so I can save all of those massive, already owned DS, GBA, or possibly older games that I could just as easily download from here, much less pay for. Seriously, is a camera the best thing about this? A .3 Megapixel camera? Even if it really is a 3.0 Megapixel one, or if there are two, one .3, one 3.0 - I already have a bloody camera, and it certainly outperforms anything a portable gaming system could muster...

... even at that, I might just buy a Lite before this poor excuse for an system update that will be bought up by the masses anyways...

12. Skambu

Skambu Well-Known Member

The only reason I would buy this, would be for the bigger screen and the longer stylus.

Also, I think they're trying to stop people from using their R4/M3/TTDS etc. cards, because, if I know Nintendo, they're gonna try their best to stop the R4 from being able to be used.

I'm sticking with my Lite.

13. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

As long as my Lite can play any new games, I have no interest in the DSi. Cameras? Seriously? IMO, the camera on the front completely ruins the look of the DS.

Don't care about the SD slot. My R4 plays music just fine.

DSWare? Well, we have emulators for that... ;D

So all in all, not a compelling upgrade in the slightest.

And, is it just me or does it look really cheap now the gloss is gone?

EDIT: Uh oh... according to GamePro, the DS Lite won't be able to play games specifically developed for the DSi. Then again, it's unlikely Nintendo will release many games that are incompatible because of the... what is it... 23 million DS Lites out there.
    Also, battery life has decreased: from "...3 hours to 14 hours on the DSi versus 5 hours to 19 hours on the DS Lite"
    Yet another reason not to upgrade...

Link: GamePro article

14. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

23 million? The DS (including Phat) has sold more than 80 million units.

15. Quintafeira12

Quintafeira12 Active Member

Their idea is simple:
    "Let's do like the other companies! Add an "i" to the name and the system will be better!"
    "Yeah let's do it!"

3 weeks later....

"Ok, so those guys with the iPods just sued us for trying to make an iDS... Any better idea?"
    "What about... instead of iDS... DSi!?"
    "Yeah let's do it!"

And seriously, if the DSi had a phone, it would become a cell phone with games... Does anyone remember the failure that was N-gage?

16. DaveSnippe

DaveSnippe Guest

Ahahahaha! I see that the peoples in this forum got some brains!
    I read one forum before, which was abolutely niet-straight. The were all like:
    Wooo, a camera!*slobber*

I replied:

"Lol, I have a lite, which is better because of the GBA support. I'm not saying that the DSi will suck (I'm just thinkin that)...

Anyhow.. The games for the DSi won't be playable on the original DS because of the stupid second touch screen (which is totally unnecessary 'cause controlling 1 at the time is tough enough!).

The only thing that will actually IMPROVE is that stupid camera. But 300.000 pixels isn't worth it. If you want to take pictures, buy yourself a GOOD camera.

I'm saying that the camera is the only 'good' thing, because (**** I use that word alot!) the mp3player.. Well, I was laughing my ass off! I ALREADY HAVE ONE ON MY DS LITE. I'm saying something stupid now, but I have a R4 -But not the R4-type- gamecard. My card, just like all the others, supports Ebooks, mp3, movies and ofcourse games!
    So IF you want to spend that much money on something absolutely NOT worth it, reconsider it by reading this over and over... I know I'm right...

P.S.
    Getting pissed off for me, having a Gamecard.. That's stupid, go buy one yourself. I've got 26 games now for 70 Euros instead of 1040 Euros. They are making the games way to expensive... "

Now note again that you CAN'T play DSi games on your DS/ DS Lite.. Which makes two different markets... That isn't worth it, the DS Lite is good as it is.

17. blacksun23

blacksun23 Guest

wonder when the nintendo ts is coming out
    triple screen

18. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Or the crystal green micro NDSi with printer.... ::)

.....bundled with Mario Party 87 DS, and Imagine: Binman

19. blacksun23

blacksun23 Guest

whoa
    really cant wait for that

20. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry. 23 million DS lites out of NA and JP. 58 million DS lites in total.

And ha-ha DSi can't even play MP3s! AAC only! Nintendo, what were you thinking?

Link: N-Sider