1. This forum is in read-only mode.

nine movie site busted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wallyjuan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. wallyjuan

wallyjuan Well-Known Member

for the romulation users who down load illegal movies be careful you might get sued read http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109975/nine-movie-sites-busted-in-pirating-crackdown

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Dang, the one online movie site that I haven't used in months got shut-down. Well, I don't really care at this point, and they don't appear to care about individuals at this point either.

Basically, at this moment in time, the average joe has nothing to fear.

3. wallyjuan

wallyjuan Well-Known Member

they have sued the average joe. people with really bad luck
    read the whole article

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

If you're talking about "The Hurt Locker" deal, that was for torrenting the movie, not streaming it.

5. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

This is exactly why people should not torrent movies, at all, unless from a very private tracker. Demonoid does NOT fit in that category, they may as well be public

6. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

How about movies that are old? about a decade, 2-4 decades ago? Will it still be illegal to download such movies?

If they sue you for downloading Soylent Green, i think its stupid, right? Most of the Cast, director, producers are dead...

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter, it's still copyrighted and protected. The rights to Soylent Green are owned by MGM.

8. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I learned my lesson quite quickly after downloading movies, not so much with older titles that are already on DVD but I haven't done that in ages either. This must be the summer that ESA goes apeshit...by shit if they start touching comics I will flip out!

9. TirithRR

I'm pretty sure some new copyright laws are in the making, in both the US and UK. These new laws in the works may be the reason behind the increased anti-piracy movements of the companies.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

copyright expires 70 years after the death of the copyright holder. blame disney for that.

11. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Meaning, there are still people who earns from those movies, even though they dont distribute them anymore thru cd's and dvd's?

So, for example, I have a company like HBO, and want to broadcast a movie like Soylent Green, I need to pay MGM a fee/royalty for the film or else my company will be sued?

What does that mean? If MGM went bankrupt, I can only show their films after 70 years after the date of declaration of bankruptcy?

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

im not sure how it applies to corporations. It might be 70 years from its date of creation.

13. TirithRR

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

14. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Damn, wonder if that means Marvel comics is going to crack down again. They are already slim pickings via direct download unless you torrent. and with the latest PSP firmware upgrade which allows you to download view digital comics....I feel something wicked afoot.

[edit] As a side note I seen PSN is now offering for 50.00 a year "Playstation Plus" one of the key things it offers is being able to "try before you buy" full game trials.

15. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

-> http://www.gbatmw.net <-

16. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Usually we call "try before you buy trials" Demo's, they are usually free Lole.