1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Newbie needs help PLEEEEESE - DS stuck at black loading screen

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by clanger, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clanger

clanger Member

Ok, I apologise in advance if this post annoys anyone, but I have tried, tried and tried again to get my new R4 and micro memory to work. - im not a stupid person, but neither am I very familiar with all the terminology etc. I have read the faq on the section above, so before anyong points that out, I need some more help than that gives please.

All that happens when I put the completed card in the ds is are black screens with 'loading....' and thats it!

Thanks to this website for helping so far but here is my 'done' - I just need a bit of help please. - I think ive almost got there, so here goes:

Card is R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)
    I have formatted to 32 bit.
    I have gone to r4ds.com and downloaded the kernal.
    I have installed Winrar.
    I have downloaded 2 games from your great site and converted to .nds and sent to a games folder on the r4 drive. (f on my pc)
    I have extracted all files from the kernal onto the f drive and then:
    1 moved the following folders onto the root : _system_ moonshine.
    2 moved the following files onto the root: _DS menu _ds_mshl_nds

So in summary I have ended up with 3 folders (including the games folder)
    and 2 files. Many hours wasted and pulling of hair. & it still doesnt work!

Do I need to do anything else / install anything else or should it now work and its faulty? - the games are only cooking mama and wonder pets! - I thought I would test with these.

Any help appreciated ....................................... :)

2. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

I haven't used my R4 in a long while, but i can't see a DS_menu.dat on you list

3. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

One thing, how big is your MicroSD card? Is it over 2GB?

4. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

That happens if a file is missing or the kernal is not sutable for your card, are as Fredbox sed you micosd should not be any bigger them 2gb with an r4 original card from www.r4ds.com

Are you could try ysmenu https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27617.0

5. clanger

clanger Member

Hi, thanks for replies, its a 2GB Sandisk, so should be suitable?

Also, I have the DS_menu_.dat file, (just didnt put the '.dat' on the list sorry.)

what would the ysmenu do?

6. Jhon 591

Just an alt firmware for the R4 original

7. clanger

clanger Member

should I delete everything off the micro sd then except for the games folder and try the ysmenu instead? - do I need to separate the files as I did for the Original R4 kernal?

8. Jhon 591

Keep games folder , delete kernal , place onto microsd from rar arvice DS_MENU.dat and TTMenu folder

If you wish to use both kernals them download R4 Kernal v1.18 + DSTT v1.17a12 , Updated 2010/01/25

And place it onto microsd , to use ysmenu just boot ysmenu.nds like a game and your game after that

9. clanger

clanger Member

Hi again,

thanks for all your replies. I tried the above and it still didnt work. This got me thinking that there might be something wrong with the sandisk md. - I changed it for a Kingston 2GB and tried the files on my first post again and guess what - IT WORKED! - So a faulty sandisk it is and it will be going back tomorrow for replacing!

Honestly - I cannot thank you enough for your advice and helpfulness.

:) :) :) :) :)

10. Jhon 591

Yep.. kingston 2gb works very well for me an no crashes!

And ysmenu will also work for them games, like (U) version of mario and luigi bowser inside story , mario and sonic ATOWG , legend of zelda spirit tracks
    Post Merge: [time]1265318199[/time]
    Im not sure about faulty , It just might be the read and wright speed of sandisk is not good for your card , where as kingston is!, Although get your money back lol!

Your welcome from us all !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.