1. This forum is in read-only mode.

new user trying to download nds games onto an R4 SDHC Upgrade card

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by diamond1103, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diamond1103

diamond1103 Member

Hi there
    Sorry to appear a bit "thick" but I don't seem to be able to download any nds games onto my brand new R4 SDHC Upgrade Revolution for DS card.?

I'm pretty pc-savvy but this is beating me at the moment. I've had a go at downloading a couple of games but when i put the chip in the card reader and insert into the nintendo ds lite it just comes up with a red box with a ? and the word menu and nothing else will happen.....

Anyone able to help me please? :-[

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Have you unpacked the .nds file from the winrar arcive ?

http://www.rarlab.com/

Are unpacked your kernal files and placed them onto the root of your microsd card

3. diamond1103

diamond1103 Member

yes i had tried that and it didn't make any difference. do i need to add any software onto this card before i start using it or is it already formatted? i'm at my wits end LOL

4. Jhon 591

Yes you do need a kernal on your micro SDcard, Website listed on the box your R4 SDHC came in for your kernal !

5. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

You need to put firmware on the card. Go to www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds and find the firmware for your card. Download it, extract it with WinRar (I assume you know what this is. If not, ask us.) and put all the files on the root of you microSD.
    That should do it.

6. diamond1103

diamond1103 Member

aah i see the website - http://www.r4i-sdhc.com i'll try that - then after i had added this onto the sd card what do i do next to download the games?
    Post Merge: [time]1260828248[/time]
    yes winrar is similar to winzip i assume? compresses large files? i've downloaded that to my laptop desktop - is this correct? ok i'll go to that website link you have sent me and download firmware for my sd card onto my usb? correct? :p

7. Jhon 591

We thought your did download the games, Just unpacked them from the rar arcive to a new folder on your desktop, Then drag and drop them onto your microSD card, and it will make a copy

look at the left and right pic, and your R4 card and see what is your right kernal to use

After you have put the kernal files on first

8. Fredbox

Yeah, WinRar is the same, but it's a bit more versatile. You need to make sure you get the right kernel for your card (there are loads of different R4s). Then you extract the contents of the rar file and put it on the root of the card. You then download any games you want, extract them and put them on your card.

9. diamond1103

diamond1103 Member

yeah i had downloaded a couple of games - professor layton and pandoras box being one of them - and i got the ?menu red font message and nothing else??? so i deleted them off the usb removeable drive.

i have now downloaded winrar onto my desktop and am just using your link to find the firmware i need. can you clarify what you mean by copying the files "to the root" of the SD card please?

10. Fredbox

When people say root of your SD, they mean directly on the SD card, not in any folders/sub-directories.

11. Jhon 591

Removable Disk (F:) = Root

Its just the first page you open!

12. diamond1103

diamond1103 Member

thanks i'm just downloading the firmware for my sd card onto my desktop now.
    whats the next step - just to go to pick a game and click download?

13. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes, extract it so you get the .nds file. Have that on your MicroSD.

14. diamond1103

diamond1103 Member

well i've extracted the files and left them all on the sd card in a folder created called games.... now the ?menu icon has gone thankfully - but when i switch on now after downloading the games it's giving me the website address of my sd card in green and it says Loading..... in orange - and there is stays - nothing else is happening?????

Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.