1. This forum is in read-only mode.

new ndsi

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by james.c.1992, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james.c.1992

james.c.1992 New Member

dose anyone no if the r4ds works with the new ndsi??

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Nope-from what I have heard, they stopped making updates for them , and the only dsi compatible flash card is the acekard i, and eventually even that won't be compatible, since they have upgradable firware for the dsi...

I hoped you'd kept your previos ds-have have many, like me :)

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

actually there are a number of DSi flashcarts (they all have an i on the end of their name). Acekard 2i is the best one so far. DS flashcarts will not work on DSi.

4. jilly bray

jilly bray New Member

No James they dont. I put in both my r4 & dstt card in and it don't work but the real prob was when i put the r4 & dstt back in my DS lite they wouldn't work it was saying couldn't find the menu or dat file. I fixed the r4 but not the dstt can't find the firmware.

5. Loonylion

get firmwares from http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds

6. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

Do not mean to Hijack..

We got our kids the new NDSi
    What you think of this card for NDSi - http://www.leetmod.com/ezflash-vi-standard-for-dsi-ds-lite-ds-p-170.html

Any other let say more reliable cards you might suggest?.

Also.. just to make sure, they still will be able to just insert the microSD used with NDS R4 card to the new one and still play the games on the new NDSi.. right?

7. d.L

d.L Member

yup, but u would have to change the r4ds kernel into the type that ur new card uses

8. Loonylion

you'd probably be better off getting an acekart 2i.

9. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

I found a review of the AK2i card on different forum.... do not want to post a link to it for bvious reasons..
    But will allow myself to C/P a protion of it here for you to feedback on. I have put in Bold the most of my concerns.. comments would be appreciated.

To the Admin.
    If you feel this post should be in it's own thread... please feel free to move it. And if it needs to be deleted for whatever reason please do whats right but please PM me with your toughts as I still have chance to buy a different card or simply go back to NDS. ( kids would cry..... hehe )
    ----------------------------------------------

Reviewing the AK2i Individually
    For all relevancy to the scoring of this product, I must harp on several worries I do currently have with the AK2i (relating to the DSi), and how they have not been addressed.

Let me expand upon my “bricking” of my first AK2i. First, I discovered that the “Alternate Loader” feature of AKAIO, which was basically future-proofing the custom system software, was fully capable of rendering an AK2i completely useless on a DSi. One attempt at using an alternate loader (I used AceKard’s official 4.11 loader; this was their last one before an AK2i compatible 4.12) and my AK2i had become nothing more than a standard AK2 unit. I could use it on my original DS model just fine, but any attempt to load it on a DSi resulted in the “Cannot Load” Japanese screen that all other flash cartridges see on the DSi.

So yeah, I proved that any software from any company could potentially render the AK2i completely useless on the DSi, but not cripple it enough to be a “brick”.

This means that Nintendo does not have to be the one updating system software to block flash cartridges like the AK2i; any game company (or homebrew author) could just make sure the bootrom gets overwritten when their game starts and *poof*… you’ve got yourself a flash cartridge that is only DS Phat and DS Lite compatible.

I took this grave concern of mine to the AceKard team, and was only offered a replacement AK2i. There was no feedback on the discovery I had made. This concerned me even more.

Normmatt and I attempted to dump the flash area of an AK2i in an attempt to flash my current unit’s firmware and perhaps restore functionality. Unfortunately, without documentation and the whole “you’re on your own” attitude that the AceKard team usually has with the two of us, we ended up creating a full brick with my current AK2i. They generously provide us with hardware, but the rest is up to us.

On the plus side, we at least got the hardware detection routine finalized in this experimentation and immediately made sure AKAIO could not use any functions that could result in this happening to end-users.

Caveat Emptor
    All I can really say in regards to purchasing the AK2i is: “Buyer Beware”. It’s a great unit if you have a DSi, and the fact it is fully compatible with the awesome alternative loader known as AKAIO definitely makes it my current choice of product in using all my current software.

However, with no guarantee the AceKard team has a “failsafe” plan in case Nintendo or any other programmer out there decides to render an AK2i useless on a DSi, you’re really on your own if you use this product.

Normmatt and I, who spend a lot of our own time working with the AceKard sources, cannot guarantee anything and definitely waive all responsibility for any possible compatibility breaking that could occur through usage of our software. I wish I was able to at least say something along the lines of “The AceKard team is prepared for future Nintendo updates; your card will always be usable on the DSi.” However, I definitely cannot say such a thing.

Conclusion
    This is a great card, and the DSi is a fun unit that I am glad to be able to use this product with. AKAIO is still amazing, and works amazingly on an AK2i on a DSi. The price is low, and compatibility and current support is up there (AKAIO now has a homepage and a bug tracker).

However, the future is completely unknown with this device.

Therefore, I will give it a good rating, but slap on a huge recommendation of “Do not purchase this until future compatibility has been guaranteed and/or proven”

Pros
    + Great Price
    + Awesome compatibility (esp. with AKAIO)
    + First post on the forum of DSi compatible flash cartridges

Cons
    - Will it work when you wake up tomorrow? Who knows!

Final Score: 9.5 out of 10 (based on my using it this morning)

10. Loonylion

this is the case with any and all flashcarts. Future compatibility cannot be guaranteed for any of them.

11. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

Loonylion..
    Thank you... and yes I understand that.... I tought it was some flaw with the AK2i.....
    Still... you would preffer this card over any other, any thoughts why?

Thanks.

12. Loonylion

its the one that people on this forum have and attest that it works. I have no DS/DSi/flashcart myself so I recommend based on what other users on this forum have said.

13. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

Last Q.. about the cards. Since I have R4 what do you thing off getting the R4i upgrade card?

Thank you all... great support.

14. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I'd get the Acekard 2i personally, even if you used to have an R4.

They are not too expensive. I think you can find them for less than 20 USD. And you'll end up with better support in the end.

15. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

Thank you... AK2i...... it is.
    I guess I could still use asme SD card and the USB stick the R4 vame with.

16. Loonylion

yes, however you will obviously need to remove the R4 firmware from the microsd and replace it with the acekart2i firmware.

17. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

Ofcourse...
    Thank you... with you guys I will get it going... ;D

18. scottythegreat

scottythegreat New Member

When Nintendo blocks out all the flash carts would it be possible for someone to write a custom firmware for the DSi? I know that's how they do it on the PSP

19. Podhalan

Podhalan Member

AKAIO_v1.4.1.zip ---- and ----- AceKard_2_v4.16_menu.zip

Can you please let me know if I need both of the files loaded ( unzipped ) on the card? or just the 4.16
    Would I just C/P the contents in to the Card's root dir?

Should get the cards by Thursday evening hopefully.

20. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

One or the other. I believe the AKAIO is an alternate firmware for the Acekard 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.