1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New MacBook *I want it!*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Almo, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Apple unveils ultra-thin MacBook Air
    Posted on 15.01.2008 at 20:49 in Tech News by Martin

Looking to build on the success of its iPod and iPhone devices, Apple Inc. introduced several new products including an ultra-thin laptop computer, dubbed the Macbook Air, and a much-anticipated online movie rental service. The new Apple notebook computer’s major attribute is its sleek profile: it’s about three-quarters of an inch thick and weighs three pounds. The Macbook Air features a full-sized keyboard, a 13-inch screen, a built-in camera, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, all powered by an Intel Corp. dual core chip. Appearing on stage at the company’s Macworld expo, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the computer, which he called “world’s thinnest notebook,” will cost $1,799 and is scheduled to ship in about two weeks. Ultramobile notebooks represent about 6% of the 270 million notebooks expected to the sold this year. Apple may benefit from good timing. Asus International Ltd.’s recently introduced Eee PC has topped sales charts at Amazon.com and is usually sold out at retail stores.

Apple’s CEO also launched the computer maker’s much-anticipated online movie rental service and unveiled an updated Apple TV device that will let viewers bypass their computers and rent movies directly from their widescreen TVs. Mr. Jobs said iTunes users can rent new-release movies to watch over their computers, iPods or iPhones for $3.99 for a 30 day period. Older titles will rent for $2.99 for the same time period. The service has the support of all major Hollywood studios including Walt Disney Co., Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros., Paramount, Universal, Sony Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, News Corp.’s Fox, Lionsgate and New Line, Apple said. Mr. Jobs also disclosed Apple had sold more than four million iPhones worldwide in the 200 days since the company’s trend-setting smartphone was launched. Is this going to be an another year of big success for Apple? It seems so right now…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.rlslog.net/category/tech-news/page/2/

2. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

Ooh, it's mac and it looks prettier than the last one. This justifies the exponentially rising cost!

</mac fanwank>

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Are you Maddox, by any chance? :p

4. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

No, I just don't think that macs are good value for money, especially with mostly crap after-purchase support. I also can't stand micro$oft, and would happily travel back in time and kick bill gates every time he saw a machine in his childhood, to turn him into a luddide and prevent the rise of m$. Free Software proponent here.

Besides, if I had a macbook air, I'd sit on it within the week. I doubt anyone gives out arse-related disaster insurance.

5. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i, for some reason i don't have the honor to know, dislike macs. i don't know why, but they just don't look right to me.

same with laptops, i only like desktop pcs.

6. dslover

dslover New Member

what?!? no dvd-rom drive?

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's the reason i dislike this one! thanks, dslover! now, i just have to find the reasons to dislike the other ones... :p

8. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

Yeah for the price its way too slow 1.5Mhz

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you mean Ghz. My SNES is 3Mhz :p 1.5Ghz isn't all that slow for a laptop, mine is only 1.75Ghz

10. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

what did you want to put in 3/4 of inch? it's insane!

11. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

Ok well im saying for the price and i meant GHz :p

12. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

and that's why i prefer desktop pcs, for 1800$ you could get a true machine!

13. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I don't see why anyone would want a system that thin. What if you dropped it? Also, the price is way too high for the system specs.

It seems like Macs really are reaching out to the non-tech users, the kind who brag because they have a sleek-looking system that they wasted far too much money on. :d

14. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend my money on a computer I could crack in half with my bear hands.

15. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too, that thing just looks too breakable.

16. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

There's one advantage. :D

Come on, Apple. It's a laptop, not an iPod. No user replaceable battery? *shakes head in disappointment*

17. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

I say buy an Alienware lappy. There cheaper, and the specs are quiet good too.

18. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

I personally could not be allowed to have one. It looks too breakable. I can't even have a watch. Watches fall apart and get broken around me in less than a week. So I know something like this would not last three days around me.

19. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that thing wouldn't last a week in my hands, also.

so they do with me. i've had three watches in a month. in the next month, i didn't have any watch! i had already broken them!

20. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

i'm going to post what i posted on the sega forum

that's my take on things. if you have the sense you'd buy a macbook or a macbook pro (or not buy a mac altogether)