1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New gaming TV help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by archlvt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

Hey, I currently have a 46" LCD sony tv, which works fantastic for my xbox 360, but that's ALL it works well for. When playing my super nintendo, nintendo 64, ps1/2, gamecube, etc on this tv, everything is stretched and pixelated beyond recognition. In light of this, I want to buy a high quality hdtv, but much smaller. Thinking somewhere between 17" - 24" or perhaps finding a way to hook up my game systems to my monitor, but from what I can tell, this is a very complicated matter.

As for the body of the post, I was wondering if someone could tell me the cheapest place to buy a nice new LG tv. I would really rather buy from LG, because they stand by their products and I've had a very good history with them. I'm not keen on buying from future shop, because their markup is outrageous. I usually go to newegg.ca for my electronics, but they don't offer LG TVs.

Also, I live in Canada, so those US-only stores won't work for me.

Alternatively, if you know of some way to hook up my old game systems to my pc monitor without buying any cables or cords, I wouldn't mind knowing that as well, although I highly doubt that's possible and I would really prefer to just buy a TV since I'm sure the lamps in my rear-projection tv are gonna go soon, considering it's like 3-4 years old and haven't been replaced yet after heavy gaming.

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i do believe that newegg.COM will ship outside the USA if i'm correct, because a friend in Australia ordered one from there...so this may be EXACTLY what you need if you can get it from there...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005122

3. archlvt

That's only 10 bucks cheaper than future shop... and then there's the shipping and waiting. Okay, maybe future shop isn't so bad for TVs then, just computers. I'll probably get the 22" version of that though, which is 339 instead of 289 at FS.

BTW that's the exact tv I was looking at on futureshop.ca lol :p

4. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

LOL! though in all actuality, from what i've noticed at least, it's best to play older games on a screen less than 20" >.>

5. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Depends.

I actually emulate the older stuff in HD from my PS2 with Component cables going to my 32" LCD.

The reason the games look so blurry is that the original signal, component, is 640x480 pixels or 480i, the new signal is 1280x720 (I think) and of higher quality. It's hard to explain this - but let's just say that with DTV pixels are used instead of lines, so when lines are used they blur.

It will STILL be fuzzy on a smaller HDTV, but less so.

I suggest for newer consoles like GC and PS2 you use component cables (yes, gamecube has a component cable) with your Big TV and for older consoles...people have modded NES to output to 1080p! XD But I'd just stick to A Smaller TV or analog/projection for NES and other oldies.

If you want them on your Big Screen, it might not be a bad Idea to mod your PS2 (easier) to play older games in HD - currently NES, SMS and Atari 2600 emulators are HD-Enabled...snes will be soon ,and gameboy is close.)

If you've already modded the GC tho go for it as some of th eemus on it are MUCH better than the ps2 ones ATM.

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

THAT explains a lot, like why my N64 looked like shit on the huge 52" 1080P TV -.-"

7. doughboy

doughboy Guest

You can find a reasonably priced one at newegg (or wal-mart if thats near your area)
    Also see if your tv has a scale/wide16:9 to/ option on your remote or thru your tv settings.
    I had thins same problem, but i fixed it by doing this (and adjusting the sharpness & color).
    Mostly every LCD slim tv have these (scale) features so check it out.
    The pixels can also be adjustable thru your tv (i.e.: sharpness etc...) or maybe it just a big tv. :D
    Mines a 40" i believe but it looks great.
    And yes these guys may be correct about the resolution change, but most tv's today are equipped to be self set to its proper scale and look.

8. archlvt

I never said anything about fuzzy. My old games are clear as crystal on my hdtv. I said they were stretched and pixelated, which is something completely different. Component cables wouldn't fix that at all. The only thing that will fix that is a smaller screen.

Run snes9x for example, run it on maximize with stretch image set to OFF. Play it for a half hour. Then turn stretch image back ON, and look at the difference. It's all stretched and crappy because you've forced the pixels to stretch beyond their native size. The same goes for playing old games on a big tv.

Another example: Ever notice that chrono trigger is much, much crisper on the DS than on the snes/psx? That's not because they updated the graphics, it's because it's on a smaller screen, so the pixels are smaller, more compact and blockiness is much less noticable.

Like I said, it's not a matter of clarity, it's a matter of stretching. Component cables won't do a thing.

I checked my manual and went through all the options and didn't see any scaling options at all. Sharpness won't help, because the picture is not dull or blurry, it's stretched. If I could shrink the image on the tv somehow so that the picture is smaller and surrounded by black, then that would help, but the option isn't there. So I'm forced to have a game with a teenie tiny native resolution stretched out to 46" Final Fantasy 12 looks especially bad.

I know for sure that a smaller screen will help because I tested it, I went and picked up my mom's dinky 16" tv for a few days, tried playing some games, and they looked fantastic, I didn't wanna give it back.

Aspect ratio isn't the problem either, there's an option to change it back to fullscreen instead of widescreen, so I do that for all my non-xbox360 systems already, still way too stretched.

Also, I'm not emulating, I'm using real games.