1. This forum is in read-only mode.

nesDS - white screen on R4i SDHC v1.74b

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by kubikill, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kubikill

kubikill Member

Hey,
    I have a problem with nesDS. Every time I try to launch it, it ends up with a white screen. Tried to launch by flashcart menu, Homebrew Menu and MoonShell 2 - just white screen.

Using R4i SDHC kernel v.1.74b
    nesDS version - 1.3a
    SDHC card - Sandisk Mobile Ultra 8GB (class 10), FAT32

Some time ago before I purchased the SDHC card, I used a 2GB SD card with FAT16 file system and nesDS worked. Maybe it's the fault of the SDHC card?

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Have you tried other SNES emulator for NDS?

There are other similar emulators;
    1. SnesDS : http://www.zophar.net/consoles/nds/snes/snesds.html
    2. SnemulDS : http://www.zophar.net/consoles/nds/snes/snemulds.html
    3. LOLSnes : http://www.lolsnes.com/Download-lolSnes.htm

Some old emulator needs NAND patching. Most don't. But, I'm worried that it could be your new SD Micro. That SD card you use is specifically meant for mobile phone. You probably should have bought an SDHC Micro card that isn't "mobile ultra", it should at least be class 4, best if 10.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

theres no difference.

4. Prectorian

I was told by the SanDisk stores I went to that there is difference. It is faster than the normal SDHC of same class, and specifically directed for use on SmartPhones and Tablets.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

both have to adhere to exactly the same specification, as far as the device is concerned there is no difference

6. Prectorian

True, the Ultra version is compatible with the SDHC (non-ultra version), but the Ultra version is UHS Speed Class 1. The non-ultra ones doesn't. And from looking at the array of choices, the Ultra seems to be directed for specific device target.
    http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-for-android/?capacity=16GB (I think this is his card as per mentioned above.)
    Thus it's processing speed is faster. The issue would be not in the SD Micro itself because it don't work on it's own. It's run through the flash cartridge. Does the flash cart supports it to the fullest extend? Same question should be ask for the console. I'm no tech savvy, but looking at the OP's statement, he said the emulator works on the non-ultra version, but causes issues on the ultra, is self-explanatory for me. Unless there're other factors not mentioned by the OP.

7. kubikill

kubikill Member

Read carefully...
    NESDS!
    A NES emulator! Not SNES!

8. Prectorian

I know what it says on the first post, you think I'm ignorant about what's been written on the first post like some other members?
    That NesDS like the other 2 emulators for Nes aren't well developed even to date. It has poor compatibility and can't save the game progress. I've tried almost all emulators for DS available on the net. I posted the SNES emulator to find out if it works on the ultra card. But you don't seems interested in testing it or commenting about it if you had.

You even asked in the first post regarding the possibility of the SDHC difference in the issue.
    Thus I was talking with Loony about the SD Micro in term of running the emulator and on the flash cart.
    But clearly you're not interesting in getting response to that question either.

You need to know that we didn't make that emulator, and it's old, so we're trying to troubleshoot based on what we know from deducting the known factors. In that case, why don't you contact the emulator's developer instead of asking here?! See if they are still around to respond to you. I'm done.

9. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

I think you needa read properly, Prectorian pretty much explained everything in detail for you.