1. This forum is in read-only mode.

need help on choosing a good nes/famicom emulator

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by zinectics, Feb 2, 2009.

1. zinectics

zinectics Well-Known Member

so i have decided to play the good old famicom

so which nes emulator should i choose

FCEUX

Jnes

VirtuaNES

Nestopia

Nesticle

NESten

RockNES

UberNES

NesterJ

this is what i would like to choose from

since their ratings are 8 point and above

so which should i choose

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I use Nestopia. Moved since it's not an issue.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Get a hold of nestopia 1.37, it's the best so far when it comes to compatibility ratio.

Although there is 1.38 out now it seems to have several issues like unable to run games that used old translation/hacks patches & it no longer supports a few mappers that I feel is just wrong :(

4. anandjones

1.40 is the latest right now :p

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

What!? there's already a 1.40 now :eek:

Umm links please anand :-[

6. anandjones

http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

emulator zone seems to be late in updating their emulator arcchives.

Can I go off tangent anand? I just want to ask you how come though nestopia is better than FCEU, FCEUX or even FCEUXD how come ROM Hackers/Translators don't use nestopia? There was this guy who recently did a re-translation of Namco's Japanese Star Wars game & they used FCEUXD to play test their work, but when I tried it on nestopia I found some timing issues with the game. I will re-test it now with this 1.40 release to see if it will run better :)

8. anandjones

I don't really know, it probably just has better compatibility for edited versions, since FCE is more suited for that. I just prefer Nestopia over FCE.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Same with me, ever since you showed me how great nestopia is, I never looked back :D
    EDIT:

Oh snap, this 1.40 release seems to follow in the footsteps of 1.38 & 1.39. It doesn't support several older patches as well like the one for Akumajou Special Boku Boku Dracula-kun (kid Dracula) and some mappers for "unlicensed/bootleg" ROMs, oh well back to good old 1.37 for me :(

10. zinectics

zinectics Well-Known Member

so nestopia 1.37 is my best bet thx guys

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Update:

I now know why most ROM Hackers/Translators avoid nestopia like the plague, well the ones after 1.37 that is.

Latest versions of nestopia tend to read or treat ROMs based on their CRCs, instead of the iNES headers, so naturally a modified NES ROM (hack modified or Translated) will not be loaded by nestopia as it does not recognize the modified game's CRC. To bypass this, a user of nestopia 1.38-1.40 MUST do one of two things. The first is to apply a soft patch of a NES ROM, by simply placing a fresh un-modified NES ROM on a ROMs folder & the necessary hack/translation patch on another ips patches folder & let the emulator "emulate" patching the game. The second is to wait for ROM Hackers/Translators to make new patches from their old ones that will be compatible or will be recognized by nestopia, a task that seemingly most of them don't want to bother with.

And as I said earlier nestopia dropping mapper support for several mapper boards from version 1.38 onwards is a bit un-cool :(