1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Need help for ps2 emulator & Iso

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N3M351S, Dec 14, 2007.

1. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I want to know if a ps2 emulator & any of it's Iso's will work on my PC, here are the Specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ [2.01 GHZ]
    Graphics Card: 6800 GS XFX [XXX Edition]
    Hard-Drive: SATA - 120 GB
    RAM: Cossair 1 GB
    Motherboard: Biostar, Geforce 6100-M7 K8
    CD-ROM/DVD Writer: NEC 8x / 16x
    Soundcard: Genius 5.1 PCI
    PSU/CPU-CASE: AMD-HiperPower [425 WATT]
    COOLER: AKASA - AK 856
    PCI ADAPTER: D-Link, DFE - 538TX

can these specs run ps2 games smoothly?, & can any1 recomend the best emulator? thanks in advance ;)

2. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

this is the best PSX2 Emulator out there, enjoy!

www.pcsx2.net/

Cheers ;)

Cloudboy101

3. N3M351S

Is my PC ok to run ps2 iso's & this emulator ?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes, but some games do not run very well as the emulator is still under development. The best thing you can do is try.

5. N3M351S

Looking at the specs..any of u think i need to upgrade PC-parts to play ps2 games smoothly? or is it just fine?

thnks 4 ur advice cloud & loony

6. Loonylion

you shouldn't need any upgrades, although your graphics card is a little on the old side. Problem is, I beleve the GS cards are AGP, which is now obsolete, meaning an upgrade would have to be to a PCI-Express card, meaning also CPU and motherboard upgrades, and potentially new RAM and PSU too.

Also, could you please write your words out in full, it's much easier to understand.

7. N3M351S

my GFX card is PCI Express, the psu is fine; don't think that needs an upgrade.

just to let you all know, Resident Evil 4 [PC] works perfect on my CPU, so it looks as if i wont have any problems.

thanks for your advice.

8. Loonylion

That is not necessarily indicative, unfortunately. It can vary greatly between games.

9. N3M351S

Ok now the serious stuff, anyone know how i can extract the iso/cue/bin or whatever files from my original ps2 disc's ? any programs that work? let me know please thanks in advance!

10. Void

Void Well-Known Member

It really depends on game. Games differ in speed and function. The most important component to your computer for running PCSX2 (best PS2 emulator at the moment) is your processor. I'm not entirely sure why the emulator runs so reliant on the processor, but it really does. I wouldn't put a lot of money on a specific part of a computer simply based on an emulator, but a multi-core processor runs a lot faster than the single-core you're running at the moment.

11. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I just Googled it, and I found a program called MagicISO that I think can extract PS2 images.

12. Loonylion

The processor is needed to translate the console code contained within the game to PC code, and then it has to execute it. This is the overhead that is required by emulators. A slightly different approach has been used in one Xbox emulator, where instead of interpreting the Xbox code to PC code in real time, the code is recompiled into a PC executable beforehand and then run as a native PC executable. This is only possible with the Xbox, because it is very similar to a PC.

13. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't know that. So it's true for most emulators, I thought it was just PCSX2 that it was (especially) true for.