1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Need assistance buying card (newbie)

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by jbomb9090, Oct 1, 2012.

1. jbomb9090

jbomb9090 New Member

Greetings!

I am the proud owner of a 3DS XL looking to get just a little but more out of my system. My search for emulators and Homebrews for the 3DS after looking through numerous sketchy sites has ultimately led me here.

My situation is that I'm looking to purchase a card, but I'm on the fence about which card to get, where to buy from, the capabilities of the cards themselves, how easily they can be set up, and where to go for programs/apps once I get everything up and running. Also I need to know about using the card safely as to not have any unwanted side effects caused by Nintendo's idiocy or some other unforeseen circumstance.

Through light research, I've been hearing that the R4I Gold 3DS and the Supercard DSTwo are the best to choose from at the moment. I've been leaning towards the DSTwo for GBA compatability, but for the price point, what other advantages does it have over the competition and how well does it run said GBA games? Any first-hand experiences letting me know what's good about the individual cards or shortcomings would be appreciated.

Lastly, any resources like safe sites to buy from, download apps for cards, guide to using the cards would also be very helpful.

2. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

All you need to know about the DSTWO http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/faq.htm

The R4i Gold http://www.r4ids.cn/r4ids-e.html

The GBA emulation on the DSTWO isn't perfect but it's completely acceptable.

A trustworthy site to buy from http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/supercard_dstwo_slot_1_multilanguage_1_4_4_compatible_gba_iplayer_mediaplayer_3ds_preflashed.html

3. jbomb9090

jbomb9090 New Member

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm positive now that the DSTwo is the right one for me.

One thing that is putting me off is the video on the site Ethan Arm posted where it's saying you needed a second DS to update the card (when you update your firmware first I guess). This could be a huge problem since I don't own any other DS systems and don't know anyone who does. Going to youtube I saw a video that showed updating without a second DS which was a relief, but how often/what scenarios is it necessary to have a second DS to update and how can I get around this problem if it comes up?

I also feel the need to add that I am planning on not buying the micro-sd from the site as I can get better ones from newegg for cheaper. Will I need a second DS to set it up for the first time? Another thing I need to know is what micro-sd cards will be compatible in case there are some that are not.

4. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

As long as you don't update your 3DS before updating your DSTWO then you will be able to use your 3DS to do the update.

There is a way to update the DSTWO without the need for a DS/Lite, but it can be risky (if it aint done correctly then it can brick your DSTWO)

MicroSD cards purchased separately is the best option, as microSD cards that are purchased with the flashcart tend to be not the best.

When you order your DSTWO ask the seller if they can flash it to work on the latest 3DS firmware.

As for the compatibility of the microSD, they all are compatible, but a good brand is more preferable, i will only purchase the Transcend microSD, Class 6.