1. This forum is in read-only mode.

need a hand on website building

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hirokaski, Dec 27, 2011.

1. hirokaski

hirokaski Well-Known Member

hi everyone

im trying to find a cheap but easy to manage webiste server to make my own site to support my abridged team which i hope to have forums, downloads and a chat function can anyone please give me any names of server/sites that could help me out thanks in advance

Hirokaski
    Manager Of VoiceWorld Abridging

2. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Some people would disagree but I would personally use WordPress and plug-ins.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

wordpress is software, it needs a server to run on.

4. Jonez001

Yes. 000webhost is a great hosting service to test it out. But they don't allow FTP (aka download / upload of files by users of your website)

I can put out a test site to mess around in if you want.

Also, for the Dutch users of this topic:
    http://www.ispgids.com

Great site to find a neat hosting platform

5. Loonylion

FTP isnt usually used by website users. generally only by website management.

RomUlation is hosted by Bananabit Technologies, at www.bbtn.us

6. Jonez001

Correct. I should be more careful with those terms.

7. hirokaski

hirokaski Well-Known Member

Jonez And Lonney Thank You so much for your help its helped me emensally and ill let you both know how i get on

8. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

What package are we on?

9. Loonylion

none of them, we're colocated. This means we own the servers, and just rent the rack space, power and bandwidth from Bananabit.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

That's cool. So you have some servers that you own at Bananabit's server centre. I'm so going to do that when I'm rich :)

11. Loonylion

hey, they aren't that expensive :p

12. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

000webhost is amazing and stuff like ftp is enabled of you pay a fee.

13. Loonylion

be wary of free webhosting, they can and do randomly take your site down for no apparent reason. additionally, on 000webhost, it may not be possible to send emails from scripts (forums need this capability) unless you have a paid for account.

Also, 'unlimited' disk and bandwidth are glaring warning signs. It's impossible to provide either.

14. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Ok... Your / this / Seph's site is pretty huge. How much do you play to host the main site plus the forum. I was thinking of making an NDS roms site and totally ignoring the ESA if they come looking for me :)

15. shredc0re

shredc0re Guest

I would suggest taking a look at www.serverffs.com. I have been a customer with them for a few years until I stopped hosting gameservers and a community forum with my mate. They have a great service for both website servers and gameservers. You should check them out :)

16. Loonylion

As it is not me that pays for RomUlation's hosting, it would not be appropriate for me to reveal how much we pay. We have 4 servers, one hosting the site/forum, one hosting the database, one hosting all the downloads and a mail server.

ignoring the ESA would be a very bad move, they are perfectly capable of and willing to ruin your life. you would likely end up in jail and all your possessions would be sold to contribute to fines so large you can't even count the zeros.

17. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

If it small, they wont care. They only targeted RomU 'cause we're awesome.

18. Loonylion

they will care. We were only one of many targets.

19. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I can't seem to agree. I know lots of massive rom sites that are still up.

20. Loonylion

and we know loads of romsites that got taken down. its a matter of time, some last longer than others.