1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NDS Web Browsing Question

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by theohi, Dec 30, 2008.

1. theohi

theohi New Member

I have a DSTT and i wanted to use the Nintendo DS Browser, which isnt possible because my DS tells me i need the expansion pak. I searched the forum and learned that there is no way without having some type of expansion hardware(can i call it that?) inserted in SLOT-2.

Thats when i started wondering. Is it possible to patch the rom so that i can use the space on the micro SD card instead of having a expansion in SLOT-2?

And why dont the Homebrew web browsers do this? I do not have any experience when it comes to programming, so please be kind when answering.

-Ohi

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The homebrew browsers are crippled compared to the opera DS browser, they often have a limit in number of images they can load and other limiting factors.

You cannot patch it to use the space on the microSD card, but you can patch them to a use a slot 2 flash cart so you don't need the actual RAM expansion, but you do need to spend money to get it to work.

3. theohi

theohi New Member

Thank you for answering my question. Im not sure if you already answered this in your post but why do homebrew browsers use the 4mb(?) the ds has, and not the space on the SD card? wouldnt that have made it possible to load images?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

At a guess I would say its due to the addressing limitations of the DS hardware.

5. theohi

theohi New Member

Thanks!
    I have no more questions, this thread can be locked or deleted ^^

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

They have to load them into the RAM. Which is why regular homebrews are not over 4MB since they cannot be loaded (graphics, palettes etc. memory have to be loaded). To surpass this, they either load from FAT, or embed it into a file system.