1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NDS Graphics | They suck?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by GhanaChris, Nov 30, 2009.

1. GhanaChris

GhanaChris Well-Known Member

Good Afternonn Fellas.

You know the Nintendo DS could be much more awesome, I mean you can listen (with help of Cylce & Co) to Music, play Videos, read E-Books, you can play and create Homebrew, you can even go to the Internet...and of course you have the choice of playing like 4500 different Games on your Handheld.
    It has a good Design, nice Touchscreen....

So why the F***ING HELL did Nintendo Inc. built in such a weak Graphiccard (or whatever)?
    There are some Games with have awesome Graphics (Ninja Gaiden, CODMWM, Nintendogs...), but it seems like it is too hard work for the Developers to create awesome Graphics, although it works well?! It really sucks... :-D

And: Why don't they implement much more powerful GC into the DSi or DSiLL?

Thanks for reading...

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Developers are lazy and don't want to push the system to its limits.
    End of story.

3. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

Lazy bastards... :(

4. Tuff tiga

Tuff tiga Member

of course :)

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

exactly.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Its not so much laziness, its more to do with better graphics = more development time, takes up more space on the cartridge (meaning it might need a bigger cartridge) and because of that it increases the amount the game costs to develop and produce. Developers are usually given a limited budget and often also a deadline for development, and so they will try to stay inside those constraints

7. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

I don't know whats more impotent graphics or game play?

8. GhanaChris

Ok guys :)

Jhon, of course it's Gameplay, but it improves by having better Graphics ;-)

9. Jhon 591

That's trew both... lol!
    Post Merge: [time]1259603048[/time]
    Although NDS dose not have the type of video card that can produce graphics like what it should be, But i heard a rumer of a NDS that was gowing to have nvidia video card one day...
    Post Merge: [time]1259603129[/time]
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176493
    Post Merge: [time]1259603147[/time]
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=nvidia+in+ds&meta=&aq=f&oq=
    Post Merge: [time]1259603192[/time]
    http://kotaku.com/5381257/nvidia-chip-to-power-new-nintendo-ds

10. matty999555

matty999555 Well-Known Member

Think of it this way:

better graphics = bigger file

bigger file = longer download + more points

bigger file = less on you r4 etc

11. GhanaChris

That's not a good point. I mean the Developer DON'T develop that some silly People (incl. me) play their Games illegally on a FlashCard.

12. 7mike7

7mike7 Well-Known Member

they are saving the good stuff for later so they can get even more money from it

13. Jhon 591

Very trew lol!, Fat cats

14. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

So... uh... what's the point of this? Why exactly does the DS need better graphics in its games?

Also, what you seem to fail to realise is that so many DS games aren't reliant on good graphics, and the ones using 3D are generally (as you said) fairly decent. I would absolutely hate Advance Wars or Puzzle Bobble DS to have half-arsed 3D. Point is, if the developers want to use 3D, they will. If not, they won't. Simple as that.

15. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

The DS's graphics capabilities are just fine, I consider them great for a handheld console, anyway hasn’t the DS proven that games don’t need flashy graphics all the time. As long as they suit the gameplay why care?

16. airdash123

airdash123 Well-Known Member

Its not just laziness,Of course they can make it better like Xbox but it'll take all the space and the price is gona change like $60 each.

17. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

The most expensive (and consequently, largest cart size) DS games are $40. Some go easy and charge the typical $35. Anyways, cart prices aren't going anywhere. The DS is 5 years old now, and inflation has only increased prices by $5-10.

Part of the reason we don't see über graphics on the DS is 1) it's only capable of OpenGL 1.whatever stuff. It's more capable than the N64 in terms of fancy effects, but lacks the horsepower to produce higher resolution, higher poly stuff. Models on the DS are never going to look "great". Good, as seen in Mario 64 DS and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, but not great. The DS also has a RAM limitation of only 4 MB. This limits the size of textures currently in memory. It's capable of dynamic loading (as seen in GTA Chinatown), but it puts strain on the cart and on the system; have you ever gone fast in GTACW and watched a texture or two have a slight "load time"? It happens with room loading in Metroid Prime Hunters, as well.

Because of these limitations, developers have to use clever coding techniques or texture mapping to produce even decent looking 3-D. It's better, both from a financial point of view and a coding point of view, to create 2-D games. While the DS is capable of 3-D, I imagine its 2-D library to be more robust thanks to the development of the GBA.

And remember the almighty "the medium can only hold so much!"

Side note: The majority of the games on the DS that have "great graphics" use prerendered scenes, a fixed camera, and invisible polygons for the main character to interact with. Final Fantasy 7 used the same technique in many of its areas to make the game look better than it would if it were all polys (as seen on the world map).

18. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

Who honestly wants ANOTHER console to be a fully fledged 3D videogaming machine? These days I only play my DS as it's the only console that has "original" games. The DS is so successful because it's so cheap to make games for it, which in turn makes more games being made for the DS...A fair few of this large collection have become instant gems and have sold more games then the big 3 Home consoles.

The DS is so successful because it does well without 3D graphics. There is no doubt the next generation DS will be a 3D portable gaming machine as their pressured into doing it.....But really, what's wrong with at least having 1 console that isn't all about graphics? Get a PSP if graphics mean so much to you while being on the road.

19. jw03

jw03 Active Member

thats why the DSi SHOULD have been made with stronger capabilities of the same type, so that ds games could be played along with opening the option to developers to have bigger better games with better graphics to go along with the good gameplay.maybe then i would have bought one.

20. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

At which point older models of the DS would have been unable to handle the new games, hence creating a stratified lockout of the target market that were only just able to afford the DS in the first place.

Or in layman's terms, games taking advantage of this wouldn't work on the Lite. Those Lite users (me included) would rage hard.