1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NDS Emulation Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by err, Dec 8, 2007.

1. err

err Well-Known Member

To the point: it's been awhile since they started the whole emulate the DS thing and they still
    can't get them to work at decent speeds (I get 15 FPS or lower on most games even if I disable sound,etc.)
    I mean they're emulating PS2 and GAMECUBE at better rates than DS.
    The DS is a handheld . My question... Why is it taking this long??

2. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

What emulator are you using?

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Emulation isn't like normal programming, it's a bit like cracking a game really. All you have to work with is some CPU instructions you can extract, you don't have anything concrete like a goal and a set of programming instructions you can use to achieve that.

When creating an emulator you must have a thorough knowledge of low level programming, this is reading all the machine code/assembly you get and making sense of it.

As for why a PS2 emulator was done before a NDS one? Perhaps those developers were more dedicated and had less of a life to live on the side. :)

Also, NDS emulation isn't too bad, several games play very well on full speed, usually it's the 3D games that are proving to be problematic, but then again, there are also games for the PS2 emulator that can't be emulated properly.

Please Solus: This is not in the technical help section, it's a discussion thread, not a support thread.

4. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Sure. Just curious.

5. err

err Well-Known Member

I'm using No$Cash.....

So what you're saying is the most popular consoles will be emulated first or is there something special about the
    DS that they're having problems with...