1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Natural Disasters and Other Stuff [Please read this]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gameace99, May 14, 2008.

1. gameace99

gameace99 Active Member

OK people. I hope that all of you have been watching the news lately and if you haven't, cyclone Nargis moved across southern Myanmar on Friday, leaving a trail of devastation. It killed tens of thousands of people and still, more are stranded and the government will not allow food and other provisions to be handed out to the citezens. I am not going to start criticising the Myanmar government; I am taking a different approach.

The risk of cyclones, like the one in Myanmar, actually increases because of the effects of global warming. After some research on Wikipedia and other sites, I have found that cyclones are actually pretty similar to hurricanes. So, global warming is causing cyclones and hurricanes. WOW. Quotes Wikipedia, "Worldwide, the proportion of hurricanes reaching categories 4 or 5 – with wind speeds above 56 metres per second – has risen from 20% in the 1970s to 35% in the 1990s."

So, the carbon dioxide emitted from cars, powerplants, airplanes, buildings, and methane gas; plus all the other causes that cause global warming inadvertently cause natural disasters that kill THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of people. I hope that this topic has informed you about global warming and its horrible effects.

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

There are two other earlier threads Similar to yours:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php/topic,7146.0.html -> Effects of Global Warming
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php/topic,4470.0.html -> The outdoors are indeed Dangerous

Just so you know

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

also there was a major earthquake in china recently.

4. micer

micer Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think earthquakes are caused by global warming, but rather, by plate tectonics, which is the movement of geological "plates" (large pieces of land) that are floating on the earth's molten mantle.

I do, however, agree that because of the activities of humans, the earth is warming at a faster rate than normal.

5. Loonylion

you are correct, I was just pointing out that the cyclone was not the only recent natural disaster, and while tens of thousands may have died there, there are also at least 8,600 dead in china and thousands more trapped, including hundreds of school children trapped in their collapsed schools.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Quoting South Park Lice Capades Episode:

"Can't you see, the world is Rejecting us, it knows our Impact on it & it's finally rejecting us"

7. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

these things happen, push nature hard enough and she pushes back.

And global warming has been thought to in fact affect plate tectonics, I read about it yesterday. Heres a link.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080512135102.htm

8. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Shit happened before we started using cars. I'm not saying I leave my car running and turn on all my lights at every opportunity, but much worse shit has happened. The earth varies in temperature regularly and normally, and hurricanes, tropical storms, and cyclones (reversed hurricanes is all they are) happen. They have and will. Earth suffered an ice age, some shit that managed to kill all the dinosaurs, and an enormous flooding thousands of years ago, which many think was what Noah floated his boat full of everything on. Don't get me started on the ridiculousness of Noah's arc, but you can't simply blame what we're doing to the earth for what happened in Burma.

9. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Sometimes, i think that Global warming is a pattern.. and will continue on, but we are affecting the pattern to be unbalanced... and that effect is the true global warming...

10. gameace99

gameace99 Active Member

Void, have you been reading anything lately? Did you see my statistics that I put on my post? Do a little research for yourself and please do something to help save the earth. ;D

11. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

I'be already given £2,550 to christian aid :)

12. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

Always liked hearing that saying, makes me think of what would happen if the roof fell in on a mass orgy.

I apologise for making light on the subject but i do think that most people here would be familiar with the effects of global warming, especially with all the increased hype for the past ten years.
    I'm not insensitive to the subject, just bored.

13. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I need not do research. You should read my post, though. What isn't clear about the earth's temperatures and events not being so damn consistent. Also, I just turned on the light in this room. Cheers!

14. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

I heard that the next tsunami is going to occur in Pacific Ocean in about 2 years from now.

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

the movement of the earth into and out of fire/ice ages is a natural trend which has occoured before. Global warming has never happened before in the history of time. Ignorance is bliss, but the quicker you accept it the easier it will be to overcome it. I spose you think oil is unlimited too?

16. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

What If Global warming just leaves no traces for the future to have evidence of its existence in the past

17. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

watch ice age 2 and see how the ices melt cause the issue there is global warming

18. clyffe28

How can you be sure that the movie is based on evidences and not just a pigment of imagination

19. Loonylion

because imaginations are psychological and thus do not have pigments.

20. clyffe28

Pigments - I just used to make it sound better
    And what I meant when I said pigments is it is the part of something, like our imagination