1. This forum is in read-only mode.

N64 Emulator

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by RiceRoll, Jan 3, 2008.

1. RiceRoll

RiceRoll New Member

Is there a N64 emulator for the ds????

2. FARAZ-IZ-DA-1

FARAZ-IZ-DA-1 Member

I dont think there would be one. You would need the system emulating to be at least 5x faster than the system being emulated and the DS is not powerful enough for N64.

3. thaneziggy

thaneziggy New Member

it would be awesome if there was.

4. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

yes... yes it would

i guess people got their hopes up after super mario 64 ds

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it's been asked before and the answer has not changed and never will. the DS is not as powerful as the N64 therefore even if there was a 100% efficient emulator (not possible) it would still not be capable of emulating the N64

6. Voodoochilli

Voodoochilli Member

Yeah this gets asked a lot. I think the ds has almost comparable power to the N64, but as FARAZ-IZ-DA-1 says, to emulate at 100% speed you need a system with a faster processor as emulation is slower than running software natively. I think the N64 has a 90mhz processor and the DS has two Arm processors running at something like 66mhz and 33mhz. My Nokia has much more than that - crazy. Strange to think that the original Playstation only had something like 33mhz. I guess it had dedicated graphics though...

Mario 64 on the ds is great, but thats not emulated and I think they had to remove some filtering effects to get it to run property.

I read somewhere that Nintendo are thinking of upgrading the Ds at some point (as apposed to making a DS 2), presumably using the GBA slot as its faster (I think). Maybe they are just going to release games that use the ram expansion but wouldn't it be great if they released a faster processor as well!

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

The N64 had two processors running at ~94Mhz plus a graphics engine running at ~63Mhz

8. Voodoochilli

Voodoochilli Member

oh right, cool cheers for that. :)

9. beundertaker

beundertaker Active Member

hopefully in the next gen of handhelds.

10. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

how would they emulate the n64 on ds i mean it had a joystick, dpad, 4 "c" buttons, and a trigger1 not nearly enough buttons on the ds.

11. Voodoochilli

Voodoochilli Member

12. lepermessiah

lepermessiah Active Member

They should probably figure out the snes emulator first those barely work, if you wanna play N64 games on the go I think u can do that on the PSP.

-LM

13. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

yea but the psp had a joystick.

the difference with the snes emulation and n64 emulation for ds is the snes controllers had t exact same buttons as a ds. much easier to get the controller configured.

14. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

How many would want to mess with the their DS' hardware to run N64 games though? And even then the games would probably have to be hacked to have smaller textures to allowed the RAM to hold all the data. It's not just the CPU that's limiting.

15. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I agree with Seth.

16. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

the definative answer, is: yes. you can emulate the n64 on the ds.

but it'll be so slow you'll get bored of waiting you'll turn your ds off and play "high school musical" or something.

that's really why everyone got so happy about that speed hack

17. FantomRedux

FantomRedux Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And before anyone says "If thats true why isnt SM64DS slow as fook?", they completely rewrote the code for it. The also added new textures and models to make it look better.

I lol'd

18. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

No there isn't but I wish there was... Fisrt I thought you meant a normal N64 emu.. lol (Project 64) :p

19. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

@FantomRedux I actually agree. And since I have a N64, I wouldn't really want to play N64 on DS-that's just too hard to do and too slow!

20. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

N64 is better as a console... Being on the DS would kind of ruin the fun of it.. But NES and SNES are always fun on the DS for me!