1. This forum is in read-only mode.

N64 Emulator on DS

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Busterthefox, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Busterthefox

Busterthefox Member

Before you take me for a n00b, I know it's not possible to make a perfect DS emulator for this type of thing; but from what I've heard, it only has to do with processing power and graphics and such.

But my question is, has anyone even tried it yet? >_> I mean, I would be happy with no sound, half speed, and only just legible graphics. If it's possible to get it that way, I wish they would at least let people like me download them. Or is there some other factor I don't know about preventing it from running N64 games in a playable state(Besides the lack of buttons that could maybe be on the touch screen)?

Now, I'm no programmer, but I do know that it takes ~twice as much processing power for a system to run an emulator; the system runs the emulator as a game, and that program runs a SECOND game from somewhere in the card.
    That's easy enough to understand.
    But, what if someone made some sort of converting/patching program that turned each N64 game into one emuGame? That is, just one .NDS file that has the game and the emulator in one place, basically.

Well, that's all I got. Think it holds any water? =p

Also, I guess this doesn't really belong in this forum, huh? Sorry, I'm still new around here. XD This belongs in a more dicussion-related category. X\

2. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

from what I read it's clearly not possible and it would be nice to play a portable zelda and smashbros meh maybe not smashbros since it would be to short but games like golden eye would also prove to be hard to pull off since games like that use more buttons as well and that game uses C buttons and they would prove difficult to play, unless.. they used a controll hack but I bet it if they ever did which they wont it would run slow as hell.

3. Busterthefox

Busterthefox Member

Yes, that's true...that's why I suggested the touch screen buttons. :D And button hacks could help out too, since the N64 didn't have X or Y buttons...meaning they could be used as the two most used C Buttons in that game or something. XD

I'd like to be able to play pokemon stadium 2 anywhere. 8D But it would cost less if someone made an emulator rather than buying a laptop. >_> I envy you laptop owners. XD

Hey, maybe there could be touch screen button hacks so that it only took one touch to change what each button did. XD Man, I wish I knew how to make my own emu, I have a lot of great ideas...
    Programmers: They say it's impossible. WILL YOU RISE UP TO THE CHALLENGE??!? =D

Speaking of which, I still don't know if it would be possible or not depending on that possible unknown 'X' factor. XD I need to know some INFORMATION, not opinions! XD But this is still a disscussion, so...

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

The ds can't even emulate a playstation 1-it's too weak...

Like the gba-just because it's a 32bit system doesn't mean you can expect much.

Stick to more classic emulators-or get "project 64" for your pc.

5. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Laptops use the majority of processing power meanign their battery life is shortened by quiet a lot when running an Emu. Excess energy is also exerted as heat.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Here is a suggestion...

Get a psp-there is a n64 emulator that can run pokemon stadium 2-not full speed YET but it's geting there...

It's alot of work-even for the psp to run it XD

7. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

The Nintendo 64 has a 64-bit 93.75 MHz processor. The DS has a 32-bit 67 MHz ARM 9 and a 32-bit 33.5 MHz ARM 7 processor (note: clock speeds don't stack). The N64 has a 62.5 MHz GPU, whereas the DS does not have a dedicated GPU.

Simply put, it ain't gonna happen.

8. snebbers

I was just searching for specs of consoles on teh interwebs. You beat me to the punch. *Thumbs up*

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Usual as always-thanks...

Mate XD

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Also not that the DS cannot use both of its processors at once.

11. snebbers

Yeah, if it could use both it would state that it's a duel core processor, meaning running simultaneously

12. Loonylion

being able to use both at once would not make it a dual core. Dual core is two physical processing cores in one chip package.

13. tehuber1337

Well, it does use both processors at once, just not for the same thing. Hence why I said that clock speeds don't stack.

14. Loonylion

it alternates between them, the DMA mechanism doesnt allow both cpus to access the memory simultaneously.

15. tehuber1337

It's true that only one CPU can access the main RAM at a time, but this wouldn't necessarily prevent both CPUs from running simultaneously.

Oh, and when a DMA transfer is running, neither CPU can access the RAM.

16. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

From what i readed here, i think its TOO IMPOSSIBLE TO BE TRUE! I wanted a n64 emu for DS too...

17. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes, both CPUs are prevented from accessing the bus to the main RAM, so the DMA and CPU hardware controllers do not access the memory at the same time. They are different in how they work and handle data. It is common for the ARM9 to use this hardware as it must perform more intensive tasks. The 4 DMA devices per CPU easily allow you to transfer or fill memory without having to CPU copy, with the exception of having to flush data cache or interrupt requests issues.

18. MrPBJ

MrPBJ Member

They should at least release a GBA emulator for the DS...

19. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

People have tried, it's just not powerful enough.

So far the only way is by using a Slot 1 card that has added hardware, the iplayer. This makes up for the DS's lack of power.

20. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

But, is it possible for the DSi to do GBA? I heard the hardware is stronger...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.