1. This forum is in read-only mode.

my usb

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by hlw_rocer, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hlw_rocer

hlw_rocer Well-Known Member

when i tried to open my usb i can like safely remove it but i cant access it, if i go to my computer there is no local disk but the hard drive any help?

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Try connecting on a different computer to test it.

3. Jiminy Crickets

Jiminy Crickets Well-Known Member

Right click my computer then click on manage then click on disk management and see if it is there. If it is there, you may have to assign a drive letter for it in there or allocate disk.

4. hlw_rocer

its there but i cant access it im going to try on my other computer, what do you mean by assign a drive letter?

5. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Have you tried placing it into another USB slot on the computer you are having problem with? reason I ask the computer I am using I have to pay attention to what I plug in a slot, I used another USB device and then tried to use a USB thumbdrive in the same slot after I removed the other one and it would not read it I thought something had gone wrong but I tried another slot and it worked.

apparently where I installed the other USB device it took over that slot so i'm going to have to figure out how to get it to stop doing that. hope that helps

6. Jiminy Crickets

When you go to disk management right click on the section containing your usb drive and it should if I remember correctly give you that option to assign a drive letter or after you have right clicked that drive then click set up simple volume or allocate disk. This has happened to me before. Your usb drive has probably gotten corrupted some how. you will probably have to reformat from disk management after getting your PC to mount it.

7. hlw_rocer

when i right click my computer there is no disk management

8. Jiminy Crickets

1. You need to go to the start menu.

2. Right click my computer.

3. Click manage

4. Now click on disk management.

5. Now a list of all of your drives will show up. Right click on the bar that represents your usb drive. clik on the part were it says "Change Drive Letter and Path" and follow the prompts.

6. Now you may or may not need to format.

9. hlw_rocer

i changed it to f but when i go to my computer i still cant see it D:
    also it says windows cant read it or its corrupted but it used to work

10. Jiminy Crickets

Did you reformat?

If you didn't that is probably what you need to do because your usb drive got corrupted somehow. Who knows how, it just happens sometimes for what seems like no reason at all.

So, to reformat, you must get back to disk management, right click on the bar that represents your usb drive, Click format, IMPORTANT, make sure you have the right drive because this is going to erase everything on it.

After this your usb drive should mount and be seen from the my computer directory.

11. hlw_rocer

i cant format it cause when i right click the usb i cant click format its gray D:
    edit: after i took out my usb i looked there and the same things were there, so the usb was never there :O

12. Jiminy Crickets

Did you ever get a chance to plug it into a different pc?

13. hlw_rocer

lol nope ima do it :D

14. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Your USB what?
    People seem to have assumed flash drive or ExHD...

Anyway, If your running vista know it doesn't support all USB devices, some all of the gear I used on my XP doesn't work on vista

15. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

..what usb is it?

Mine is one of those cruzers...8 gb, never had a problem until I put password protection on it (never doing that again :( )

If it's a cheap basic sort then maybe it's your comp-but if it's anything like mine then things get dicy...

The dumb thing comes up as 2 different drives-a cd for it's own preloaded apps and a second that is the actual sotrage component...

But trying it on another pc could show you what the deal is-try different operating systems (xp and or vista) to get an idea.

16. hlw_rocer

like all of them, they all used to work and then thety just stopped and im using a xp, i wish i had a vista laptop :D
    ok i tried it on a different computer and it worked

17. Jiminy Crickets

Hey that's cool but now maybe there is something wrong with your USB port in your PC.

Do you have another USB port on your PC, in the back maybe that you can try?

18. hlw_rocer

umm i have to in the front i tried boths back i dont think there is one, and i had all my flashcart files on this computer D:

19. Jiminy Crickets

It is possible that your driver for that usb card on that PC got corrupted.

You could try
    1. Plugging in your usb drive in question.

2. Right click on My Computer.

3. Click manage.

4. Click on Device Manager from the list on the left hand side over there.

5. Click on the + sign next to the Disk Drives in the list on the right.

6. Double click on the USB Disk USB Device

7. Now the properties window will pop up for that device. Click on the Driver tab on the top up there.

8. You will get a warning that this will uninstall this devise from your system. Press OK. Don't worry When you pull your USB drive out and then put it back in it will reinstall. This is what we want a fresh reinstall.

9. So go ahead and plug er back in and see if this solve the problem.

By the way when you open up Device Manager look at the list on the right and see if you have any yellow exclamation marks, namely in the Universal Serial Bus Controller section (USB). If there is that is your problem.

Let me know.

Peace.

20. hlw_rocer

well when i plug it in and take it out when i look at the device manager the same things are there, so im not sure what to uninstall, and the capacity of the ones that are there are greater than my usb D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.