1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My R4 SDHC ONLY works with official R4 firmware.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Xindaris, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xindaris

Xindaris Member

Yeah. As the title says. For some reason, no "clone" firmware (that is, not R4 ultra and not the firmware that's supposed to be designed to work on this card (the hcsd firmware)) seems to work with the card, even though from what I can tell by searching the one with the "sdhc" logo on it is a clone. The card works perfectly with both normal and hc micro-sd cards, as long as they have the official, English 1.18 firmware for the real R4 on them.

This wouldn't be a huge problem, except that there are some games that don't seem to work with this firmware, and I can't figure out how to make YSMenu work to the point of playing a game on it. I tried running the DSTT firmware, and got a "can't find _DS_Menu.dat" error, and the one time I did manage to get YSMenu to load up at all, by booting it as an .NDS file, it would turn into a blank white screen upon trying to load any games.

So, I want to know if there's some way of fixing it I haven't tried. I have tried formatting an SD card and then reinstalling various firmware on it, but that did literally nothing to help.

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

If it works with this then its not a clone card

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=31516.msg552964#msg552964

If it dose not work then it is!

3. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

use my tutorial to get YSmenu

There is a fix for r4 sdhc's at the bottom

4. Xindaris

Xindaris Member

Okay...when I tried running the menu from that download (jhon), the menu loaded perfectly fine, but all games simply loaded up two blank white screens. So it doesn't work, but I would think it would show some kind of error while loading the firmware, rather than simply refusing to load a game?

I think I've tried that tutorial before, but I'll go ahead and give it another attempt...
    EDIT: I did as the tutorial said, selecting R4 as the flash cart and running an .NDS file, and the menu would load, but no games. Again, double white screens. And this is on small games with no known protection...

5. Jhon 591

If it works with kernal v1.18 it might work with kernal v1.23 from www.r4li.com

Ps: don't use version v1.24 as it in beta and buggy with sound

Work with R4 originals or remake and R4 iLS

6. Xindaris

Xindaris Member

That firmware works with normal games. One odd thing, though, is it seems to freeze up when trying to save cheat code settings, with the bar literally at 50% every time...and so far, I haven't gotten it to run the game that the older (1.18) one wouldn't run.

7. Jhon 591

What game are you trying ?, It might be an AP check in the game it self

AP means - anti piracy

C.O.P was a small game but still had AP on it

8. Xindaris

Xindaris Member

Right, I'm trying to run Bowser's Inside Story; the cracked version sticks on a loading screen that says "please wait..." , and as codes aren't working with any game on the 1.23 firmware for some reason (again, freezing at 50% of the bar whenever I hit "save & exit"), I don't have the ability to try the cheat code.
    I'm really confused as to why I can't seem to get YSMenu (or anything that uses its files(?)) to run any games, as I think that would fix this problem, based on what I've read.

EDIT: I just checked, and the 1.18 firmware doesn't display a title and picture (where it usually does on the lower screen) for either version of the game, and because it doesn't recognize it, I doesn't make a connection between the clean rom and the code for it that's in usrcheat.dat

9. Jhon 591

Ysmenu dose work with a clean unpatched rom of the (US) version ownly, but thats for R4 orignal, You can get them of indoor markets for about £13 with www.r4ds.com on the box

As for firmware v.1.18 don't work with code or with out

However if you download the firmware from the site on your box, they mabe a .nds file you have to boot first and your game after that

http://www.r4sdhc.com/soft/33-en.htm , im not sure if this is the one English Kernel v1.26

but it quotes
    Try both unpatched and patched version

10. Xindaris

Xindaris Member

Okay, something's a little odd.
    Wherever I tried to go to find the official firmware for the sdhc, I found a version 1.31, so it must have been a different website. Maybe I've been looking at the firmware for the wrong clone???
    I'll report what happens when I try this version...

Edit: It looks like it's stuck on the black screen with a white "Loading...".

11. Jhon 591

Try just using the DS_PATCH.NDS patch from the firmware, then gowing through the whole lot
    Post Merge: [time]1263074393[/time]
    All firmwares hear

http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/
    Post Merge: [time]1263074864[/time]
    Edit: Then it will be a wrong firmware, mabe just use DS_PATCH.NDS with the firmware that works

Are see if you can locate one ^ merged link

12. Xindaris

Xindaris Member

Okay, it seems my problem is that there's several different clones that call themselves "R4 SDHC" and have DS cards that look identical to mine, and I threw away my box that would tell me exactly where to look months ago.

So, from trial and error, the "R4 New" and "R4 SDHC" firmwares don't work...as well as several others. Either stuck on a black "Loading..." screen or on a pure-black screen that shows up right after that.

13. Jhon 591

I mean use the orignal firmware that did work for your card, and just place in DS_PATCH.NDS from that firmware, and run it like a game and then boot your game after,

Nether a good idear lol...

Of for to night back in morning, best of luck

14. Robis2

Robis2 Member

You may be very lucky Xindaris, very lucky.

15. Jhon 591

This could be your website as the kernal match

http://www.ndslr4.com/down.asp

R4 English v1.31 ------【2010-01-07】

But if you look at the right side of the page

That will be the patch that you boot first befor game

16. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

I've heard problems like this need a format of your micro sd card.

backup your files and format your card with Panasonic SD formatter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.