1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My DSi sometimes turns off

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Jayne Locke, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Jayne Locke

Jayne Locke Well-Known Member

I bought my DSi on the launch date and sometiems my DSi turns off for no reason. Is it to do with the battery?

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Just a few questions.

1.When you first got it, did you let it charge for 3 hours plus without interruption or did you play it straight out of the box?

2.Is the dsi being charged every day since?

3.Did you actually empty the battery each day and chanrge it?

They have limited lifespans, about 500 charges, and playing it without the initial cold charge can affect it.

3. Jayne Locke

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Hrm...

One question, when was the launch day in your region?

I have a launch model myself (In australia we got ours before american did-a first XD)

Midnight launch, 6th in australia.

Ok, back on topic...does the redlight come on at all before it dies?

And can you prehaps time it from a full charge to when it dies?

These dsi's only last about 11 hours with the backlight nearly off.

5. Jayne Locke

My launch date was April 3rd. The battery hs charrge but it turns off for no reason. I have an Acekard 2i. It may be to do with the battery.

6. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

Don't give false information.

Battery of Nintendo DS/DS Lite/DSi is made of Lithium-ion battery which means it doesn't have 'memory effect' unlike Nickel-based battery. Check here: http://batteryuniversity.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @Jayne Locke - this is not in the proper forum, if I may say so. ;) Anyway, you might want to check the official support of Nintendo. It has most issues solved there and if none answers your problem you may want to post it in Support Category.

Go Here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dsi/en_na/trouble_power.jsp#charge_last

P.S. If problem persist. You still got warranty, right?

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

They still lose capacity after a while of use. And the initial cold charge primes them for the optimum number of cycles. ALL batteries should be cold charged initially.

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Thank you loonylion :)

It's just better for it in the long run, like laying a ps3 or xbox 360 flat instead of sideways..even though they are meant to it does help.

And dude...we can still help here, that is the point of technical help sections here, heck companies tend to take ages...and we might find a solution from someone with experience, or better yet, find a way to fix this WITHOUT spending more money (nintendo will do this-trust me).

9. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

Lithium-ion don't have that type of problems anymore. No more memory effect and scheduling needed.

The cold charge WAS famous when the battery used was the Nickel-based.
    Post Merge: [time]1265634237[/time]
    But this is not the technical help section. =X
    Yes, we can still help. I'm just saying it's not in the right section. :(

Did you even open the site I gave her? It's just a faq for battery problems to cut down basic questions regarding it.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Actually lithium ion batteries do eventually lose capacity. I've had to replace laptop batteries for that reason. It's just less pronounced and takes a lot longer.

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I go by what I learnt from experience, my gba sp never lasted long...and I hardly used it.

But you are right about one thing-this should be in "non-emulation help" to better suit...technical help is for emulation now that I think about it, I just generalised it :p

12. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

Any chance this happens without the AceKard?

13. MikeHoncho16

MikeHoncho16 Well-Known Member

I had the proble with my Acekard 2i, every time i shut it (it should be in sleep mode, but it turns itself off) any help?

14. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

That was sort of what happened with my launch DS Phat, though it had seizures/strobe-light when I closed it with any game in it (DINOSAUR PARTY!)
    It has since stopped doing that after a while; though it began powering off upon opening from sleep/standby mode.
    if the touch screen would respond, I'd care, but it doesn't, so yeah XD
    Have a dsi now, so my phat just sits there, lacking touch screen controls :\