1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My Computer's Not Good Enough?!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Immortal Mind, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortal Mind

Immortal Mind New Member

I have a high performance computer. Windows Vista Basic, 3 GB RAM, 2.16 GHZ something. The only problem is my graphics card is a Intel Single Core. Single Core! If I would have known more about graphic drives before I got my laptop then I would have waited!

So I use the Dolphin Emulator (Gamecube). I played Super Mario Sunshine, it only ran at 40% all the time. It's because I need a duo core Intel processor (Graphic Card). How much does it cost for a duo core graphic card? My dad has one, he doesn't know much about graphic cards, not as much as me. He a a Qosmio laptop that cost him $1500, it was on sale and was really worth $3000. I have a Toshiba, it was only $500 on Walmart.com. I was looking for a good performance laptop, that was all I wanted. I just didn't know about graphic cards then! I have a Toshiba, my dad has a Qosmio, could we switch graphic cards?

Even if we can, I still want to know how much those duo core thingers cost please!

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The problem is your RAM and Graphics Processor.

It sounds like your Graphics processor is onboard. They don't work well for anything that requires any actual power. Your RAM is also low. You have 3GB and are using Vista.

Laptops are not easily upgradable. And usually are not as powerful as their desktop counterparts. You likely won't be able to switch components between yours and your father's.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

3gb ram?

You got more ram than my laptop-1gb!

But I have dual core...

I can run resident evil 5-as well as dolphin...a tad slow but I can run it.

4. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

If you only paid $500,some things are bound to be low-end spec,thats the price of what they call an entry level laptop.
    Maybe you could get lucky-sell your laptop on eBay and buy another one off there.I say this because I bought a new Toshiba for £400 from Tesco for the wife.I looked on eBay at the price I could get a 3 month old one for and it was around £300.I also looked at the price of her old one,a Advent 7105,and they were going for up to £300.
    So basically,a 3 year old 1gb ram,single core processor,80gb h-d laptop was selling for the same price as a 2gb,dual core,160gb,17" Toshiba laptop.

Its a crazy world....

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Better still, get a desktop. Even the most expensive and high power laptops struggle with games.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If you take the time to learn-the cheapest option and possibly better is to build your own-find the best but cheapest parts and see how you go....

I seen a few monsters...home made :)

7. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

Just a little note, the graphics ,most likely Intel GMA are not good at all - that'll be the reason you have Vista basic installed by default. The single core/dual core is to do with the CPU, and not the graphics sub system.

In order Dolphin requires: A fast CPU (64bit ideally, dual core), Non integrated graphics, doesn't need to lbe latest and greatest, but should ideally not be one of Noah's hand me downs (PS 2/3.0 support). Unless you are at a criminally low level of ram 1gb/512mb on Vista, then that won't be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.