1. This forum is in read-only mode.

MY CAREER

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danielbhatt, Jan 4, 2013.

1. danielbhatt

danielbhatt Well-Known Member

Hello everybody!
    I am studying in India still in my high school i am a game freak . I love to play games in my pc . I can play games for hours ... I want to become a QA tester in any video gaming industry .
    Gaming is my passion . But i dont know which courses are appropriate for becoming a tester and specially in India the game revolution is just started the courses here offered are very costly ... But in foreign countries it is still cheap. Please tell any universities which offer great courses .

2. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

I think we can all say here at romu that we are game freaks, but that doesnt mean we all follow career paths in that direction. if its something you really want to pursue though you might want to look what it really is

here is a little something i found: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/29/the-tough-life-of-a-games-tester

my personal opinion is that this can be a really tedious and boring job and you have to be able to notice every little detail there is and not actually play the game, more like bug testing which is different. personally i wouldnt follow that, and im not

3. danielbhatt

Is gaming your passion ? What work do you do ?

4. iluvfupaburgers

gaming is my passion. i play cod non stop, have a clan, participated in tournaments. i even flunked my first college because of gaming. i still play 5 hours a day after doing all my college homework and going to college. i game in my phone during bus trips, going to the bathroom, sometimes in class and sometimes even stay up till 5am playing. if thats not passion i dont know what is. but ive known people that were QA testers, doesnt sound fun, and after reading that little article i posted, it even sounds worse. if you are so interested in knowing what i study in college, its finance and accountance

5. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Hi Danielbhatt,

I suggest you take some programming courses which cover robust programming. Robust programming gives insight about how software bugs are (unintentionally) created.

If you are going to pursue a career as a game tester, you need to have decent knowledge of software bugs and exploits. Good luck.

6. danielbhatt

I am studying C++ and mysql . this is my final year in high school.

7. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Those programming courses will give you the basics. But you need to focus on the topic of robust programming, which consists of fool-proofing your software from faulty user input and exploits.

Here's a link to the concept of robust programming.

8. iluvfupaburgers

ive been checking some job requirements they look on QA Testers

its pretty much dev tool knowledge, team working skills, and attention to details

hope i didnt sound too harsh on my top posts, but sometimes its good to know what you are really getting into before doing it. if you really still want to pursue this career than look some job aplications and what requirements they look for, its a good way of knowing what they look for and whats needed for the job

9. danielbhatt

Thank you everybody !

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well, at least you don't need that many skills to be a QA tester.
    Mm. I'm going to start studying programming. I've always wanted to work for Treyarch.

11. danielbhatt

No you didn't sounded harsh !
    Post Merge: [time]1357290678[/time]
    Still c++ is hard !

Post Merge: [time]1357290769[/time]
    Is there anyone in romu that works in gaming industry ?

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Do bear in mind that game testing isn't anything like people imagine it to be. It's not particularly well paid and its extremely tedious.

13. danielbhatt

Yeah i know the work is exhausting ! But i am a game - o - holic !
    Post Merge: [time]1357320097[/time]
    Yeah i know the work is exhausting ! But i am a game - o - holic !

14. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Being a "game-a-holic" has almost nothing to do with becoming a game tester. When a game developing company hires you as a game tester, they will expect you to find all the bugs and exploits for them. That means playing the game repeatedly, trying different combinations, and experimenting with the game in odd ways that players normally won't do.

If you have done public beta-testing for games in the past, and have been good at finding bugs frequently, then a career in game testing is for you. Otherwise, you may want to still explore this option before making this your final decision.

15. iluvfupaburgers

not even the whole game. they usually give levels to each QA tester and have to play that same level non-stop to find bugs and possible glitches. you dont actually play the game

maybe you can pursue game development if you really want something related to games, or game reviewer, but those are my opinions

16. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

true ,

but after reading that article by "iluvlufaburgers" i dont think anyone would want to be a game tester .
    they really have to go through poor condition -
    no job securitiy
    less wages
    many hours of continous work and many more ...

17. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I was offered 2 such jobs before from 2 different companies; one was to test mobile games being developed, the other was for online games.

Didn't need much past working experience in fact nearly none required, as for education background just need to know basic programming, and keen eye for details. Then it's required for the recruited tester to play the game in development over and over to check for bugs, working hours could range from 8-14 hours a day. At the end of each testing session (per day), one must fill up reports about their findings or what they didn't find, suggestions for improvements, and those nitty-gritty details that could improve gaming experience, including being prepared to give new gaming inputs for new game developments or even sequels. Stuff like that. Some gaming company might look for someone who could achieve a certain level in a game within a short time limit, before they consider hiring.

Minimum wage of cause, since basically all you do is play all day long, but you do will get all sort of the 'normal' standard labor rights to insurance etc. No career path whatsoever, basically just stuck doing beta testing. Some says it's fun, but to me there's no future to that, but it would be for someone without any family burden to care about. Usually the working contract range from 6 months to 1 year, or in some cases, could just be limited per 1 game in development, once the game is done, you're out until the next time they call you back. Which again, isn't the kind of career I'd consider as 'stable'.

If you want to pursue life in gaming, it's best like the others said, be a game developer. You could learn some programming skills, and start developing one. Back then, I'd fool around making games using BASIC, but that was history. For starter, try learning how to make games for Android devices, the SDK tool is open source, can get it free from the net, courtesy of Google and it's affiliates. The tutorial books are floating around the net up for grab. You can make money out of it too by selling it on Google Play Store. See how you like doing it from there. Playing game is one thing, making them is another.....especially when you hit that bug issues you find hard to tackle.

If you're still in to doing that, next would be to go deeper into formal studies. Some good gaming development collage that I know can be found in South Korea, Japan, USA, Australia, and Singapore. I'd suggest going to South Korea or Japan. Not sure if you know, Sony or was it Konami, I forgot which one. They open up for non-professional game developers, even those without past game development ability, to become part of their down-line. Submit some gaming ideas to them, if they find it good, they'll finance you all the way. One such proof of their keenness to support new developer is a game titled Tokyo Jungle for the PS3. It was made by a team totally new to game making. In fact the CEO was only a design graphic designer (only able to make picture covers), he got financial support, tools, computers, technical support, etc. from the top company after his gaming idea was accepted. Who knows, you might see a future in that rather than just fool around being a beta game tester. Being a beta tester is good, but not to an extend it become a permanent career path. Being a game developer gets better financial reward than being a tester.

Here are some video from NHK's interview on Tokyo Jungle:
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkIQM-uDsA
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBmrc9D9iOM

18. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

This would ruin gaming for me.
    I love playing video games like the Elder Scrolls and Battlefield, I don't want to be forced wasting time playing shitty games.

I also code software and do webdesign, no way that I want to code games.

19. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Well, becoming a game tester for a company, no matter how shitty one might think the game they are developing is, you've no choice but gobble it, play until you puke, and do your absolute best to provide feedbacks. Can't bargain about what game genre you want or limit yourself to test either. Practically the company assigns you to a game, and you're stuck with it until they decide it's enough. On one side it might look fun, but on the other hand it can be damn boring, nerve racking, and tiring too. The worst case would be when it come to presenting your feedbacks, comments, inputs, etc. since you're practically there to test it, you can't say 'pass' or 'same as that guy', etc. There'll be individual assessment/review, and there'll be brainstorming in group, meetings, etc. It's not all day play game.

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Stopped reading here

...but as the very first reply was posted explains its not the best place for work, in articles I read its basically the same as working in fast food, only dealing elss with people and more purposely breaking games and testing if walking to the right in a straight line will have the game derp on you...

Better off doing game design or being a reviewer, someone at my work made his own studio and has IoS games in mind, which supports my "apple is atari" theory (aka anyone can make a damn game good or not) butits a direction, as for game reviews could just go to youtube, review some games with your voice or whatever and try to go from there or even take journalism as a study and go from there...

Or do as I do, keep games as a hobby on the side, for fun, why make work fun I say, work is work, derp.