1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Music Swapping Websites To Be Blocked

Discussion in 'General News' started by iamlegend, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

"Irish internet users are to be blocked from accessing music swapping websites, as internet service providers bow to pressure from the music industry. Eircom, the country’s biggest internet provider, is to start blocking its internet customers from accessing music swapping.

The country’s other internet providers have been told by the Irish Recorded Music Association (Irma) to follow suit or face legal action. If the music industry is successful, Ireland will become the first European country to completely block access to hundreds of file-sharing websites.

Irma, which represents major music groups EMI, Sony-BMG, Warner and Universal, is to begin compiling lists of websites that it claims are damaging its business. It will then apply for a court order, requiring Eircom and other internet providers to block access to these sites."

Source: http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=39782-qqqx=1.asp

Looks like the age of music piracy is coming to an end

2. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't go quite that far. After all most major ISPs everywhere else are refusing to restrict the use of theier services...

3. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

New Zealand seems to be following suit:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php/topic,14402.msg159828.html#msg159828

It's only a matter of time...

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I know one ISP that will benefit from this when it gets launched within the next year; they point blank refuse to censor anything.

5. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

Really? Net neutrality supporting ISP? Who? I'm sure I'll have to switch sooner or later.

6. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Music piracy will never end... they ban something, people think of other ways.

7. captainbitter

captainbitter Well-Known Member

*Continues holding a tape recorder to the speaker while using Pandora*

Piracy will never die.

8. geffo

geffo Active Member

lol ilooks like the luck of the irish has ran out but i doubt it will be world wide

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.