1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Multiple USERS with 1 CPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XD9999, Jul 3, 2008.

1. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

hi, about a month ago i ran across a site of a company that sells a software that caters 10 individual users with one CPU[connecting USB monitor,keyboard, mouse]. Sadly i forgot the website URL. any ideas about this? or anything related to it?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

windows XP allows multiple users, though not logged on at the same time.

3. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Yes, they use these process in cyber/internet cafes.

4. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I remember seeing something like this on Wikipedia, so I went back to check. After some browsing, I found what I was looking for. I think the thing you are referring to is Multiseat.

5. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

woot woot i found it!

userful = 10 pc, only for linux though :(
    miniframe = 8 PC, for windows ;D

what do you guys think of this?
    and is Linux a good OS?

6. Loonylion

linux is a good OS if you know what you are doing. Also you don't need that software on linux, its natively multi-user.

7. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

yay! now the problem that still stands is it costs money. Anyone know of a free software? :D im such a miser ;D

a few off-topic:
    what do you mean by "if you know what you are doing" - is linux a difficult OS to use?

about userful, i browse their website but i cant conclude if their multi-seat software is exclusive to linux.

8. Loonylion

it's not for beginners.

9. Born2killx

Well then you'd have to get started sometime because if it isn't for beginners, you'll never be able to begin. :p

10. Loonylion

yes, you begin with windows, and once you're good at windows, you try linux. And by good I mean you can fix problems and do almost the same amount with the commandline as you can with the GUI

11. Born2killx

Then I guess I should start learning about command line. :p

12. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes it's quite hard to use at first, harder than Windows, that's why they said Windows is user or window-friendly :p

13. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

so...what exactly are the things that you must know about windows before you venture into linux?

14. Loonylion

you need to be comfortable doing everything with commandline, using UNC and full paths, to start with. Most linux distros have a GUI but the real power is still in the commandline.

15. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

ok...totally a noob about this. If i were to start studying the very very basic of computers, where should i start? to be honest i dont even know the command line and the GUI.

off-topic:

i just remembered a script of sheldon, a character from the tv series THE BIG BANG THEORY

sheldon: "What is your computer? and please dont tell me its white."

16. Loonylion

windows is a GUI, and I presume you can use that to an extent. Being comfortable with installing and configuring windows is a good start.

17. Trixilver

Trixilver Member

Linux is actually not as difficult as everyone thinks. Okay, yeah, it's harder than windows but that's only because that's what everyone's used to.

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a few months back and I had a problem with it - the webcam not working and causing the boot up to hang for about 10 minutes, but things like this are easily fixed.

I went to the Ubuntu forums, posted my query and the following day I had a resolution. All I had to do was copy the command, and paste it into the terminal, and viola! Problem solved. So in some cases, fixing things can be easier in Linux. But yes, I'd recommend anyone to learn how a computer works before switching. Only basic stuff of course. Also at this point you defiantly do not want to get rid of windows completely, at least not until Linux gets some more software support.

18. Loonylion

ubuntu does not qualify as a serious linux distro... And linux has far more software than windows, you just have to look for it and be prepared to compile it yourself.

19. Trixilver

Trixilver Member

True. But by software support I mean major software developers.

20. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Look for termsrv on google. Then you can find the fix to remotely log in on one pc with multiple users via remote desktop / terminal services.