1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Moonshell 2.05 locked my SD card. :(

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by WinRAR, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Well, guys, looks like I really did it this time.

When trying to upgrade my Moonshell to 2.05 (Supposedly Stable) from the built-in 1.7 with the R4 Firmware, I couldn't find any tutorials, so I just thought I had to replace _DS_MSHL.NDS. The Readme says to put the Moonshl2 folder and moonshl2.nds file in the root directory, but I didn't see an existing Moonshl.nds file. So, I foolishly backed up my Moonshl-related files/folders, renamed Moonshl2.nds to _DS_MSHL.nds, and now, not only does my R4 say "cannot find file _DS_MSHL.NDS (because the R4 is case-sensitive, and renaming files is not, the R4 does not recognize "_DS_MSHL.nds" as "_DS_MSHL.NDS"), but now the MicroSD card-to-SD adapter is permanently locked (as far as I can tell).

This happened to me once before with the USB adapter, now it's screwed, and I do believe my SD adapter is too.

To make sure you understand what I'm saying:
    1.The SD adapter's lock switch is to the "write" position.
    2.This is in the OS Ubuntu, which is a Debian (Linux)-based operating system.
    3.I highly doubt I'll be able to format it and try again in Windows, if it's locked in Ubuntu.

If anybody's experienced this before, or something similar, please let me know how you resolved the issue.
    Now I think I have to buy more adapters. I really don't want to do that.

EDIT 1: Well, everything works fine in Windows, can read/write normally, somebody please provide a link to a tutorial on how to set up Moonshell 2.05?

Only problem now is that the 'Moonshl2' folder is corrupted, I can't delete it.... maybe formatting would work?

-WinRAR

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Yeah, usually formatting will fix any of your problems

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Best option would have been to just get rid of the bundled Moonshell version files (.nds, folder etc.) and then just place the Moonshl2 folder and moonshl2.nds files straight onto root, and load it manually within the 'Game' selection.

Try running chkdsk, and format.

4. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Nevermind, no formatting needed.

Windows fixed the corrupted Moonshl2 folder, and I tried again after deleting it, only this time moving my existing _DS_MSHL.NDS file to the Moonshl folder, and renaming the Moonshl2.NDS to "_DS_MSHL.NDS" (this time with .nds as caps: .NDS).

It worked, and now I use only Moonshl2 for my multimedia files.

I also have DSOrganize, but the menus are blah, even if you do change the iconset.
    I mainly use that to browse the *few* websites it supports.

So, yeah, now I'm gonna try the card again in Ubuntu (my main OS), will tell you how it goes.

EDIT: Great news! Whatever Windows did, it fixed my USB reader, and the USB reader works, too!
    So, I guess if I ever have any more problems, I'll just plug it into Windows! Now I can delete the old Moonshl folder, and put even more songs in!

-WinRAR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.