1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Monster Rancher DS - hidden values question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by malakh, Aug 23, 2010.

1. malakh

malakh Member

After some mulling I decided to post this here instead of in Game Help since this is more technical in nature.

Monster Rancher DS/Monster Farm DS 2 has a hidden attribute known as Action Points (AP), which I gather is noted in the original cart's backup file. Since a ROM has no backup file what happens to the AP value? Also, the game "tags" the active monster in the backup file and re-starting the DS results in an AP penalty for that monster, does it mean re-starting is now a guilt-free proposition if you are using a ROM since there is no "tag" available?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I think it has to do with the monster you fuse, the AP goes down when you restart your game, i think it effects stats on the monster that you combine or something like that.

3. malakh

malakh Member

That's correct. If you re-start the DS then load the game (as opposed to Quitting (Saving) then loading the game later) the AP is supposed to take a 50-point decrease.

Thing is, I'm not sure how AP works when using a ROM.

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the rom doesn't do the same thing as the actual game with tagging or whatever, seems like it should?

5. malakh

malakh Member

That's my question. The game writes the "tags" onto the backup memory, which a rom on a flash cart doesn't have.

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

if it didn't have a backup memory, then why is it when you start a final fantasy save file (forget which one) it says "initializing backup data"?

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Backup data is the save file.

I would say it's safe to assume that anything the game stores, the rom will store as well in it's backup data (the save file).

8. malakh

malakh Member

Well, so much for guilt-free re-starts when using a ROM then. :-\